Kildare SFC Final: Sarsfields dethrone Moorefield in 2-15 to 2-09 win

Sarsfields 2-15 Moorefield 2-09

Sarsfields won the Kildare SFC title on Sunday after a 2-15 to 2-09 win over rivals Moorefield at St Conleth’s Park. This game was obviously a replay after Sarsfields rescued a draw last weekend but on this occasion Davy Burke’s charges proved too strong.

Sarsfields made a terrific start with Ben McCormack registering the first two scores on the board. These efforts came from play. Eanna O’Connor knocked over a free in response with 4 minutes played, but Sarsfields hit three scores on the bounce then with Cahill, Hartley and Ryan all raising white flags. The game had some scurmishes but that was to be expected in a game like this with plenty at stake. Eddie Heavey kicked a nice point after 15 minutes, before Eanna O’Connor and Ciaran Kelly cut the gap to one.

Moorefield got the first goal of the game. A long delivery from Eanna O’Connor was sent to the edge of the square, which was broken down by Jason Phillips to Kelly, who fed Hurley Lynch who buried the ball to the net. Kelly and O’Connor extended the lead 1-06 to 0-05. Sarsfields took a quarter of an hour to get their next scores with Hartley, Ryan and McKenna pointing. Ciaran McInerney Aspell then missed a chance to put the Sarsfields ahead when his shot when past the post and wide. Eanna O’Connor kicked his third score for Moorefield and they went in at the break by 2 points, 1-07 to 0-08.

The second half began with less intensity than the opening period. In fact, only two points were scored in the first 10 minutes. These came courtesy of frees from Ray Cahill and Adam Tyrrell for their respective sides. Sarsfields then hit a purple patch rattling off 1-06 without reply. Ben McCormack and McKenna levelled the game up, before Barry Coffey kicked them into a two point lead. Cian Costigan then scored the all important goal for Sarsfields. McKenna getting on the end of a break in midfield, before he found McCormack who set up Costigan for the goal.

Barry Coffey and Ben McCormack extended the Sarsfields advantage and they were now 7 points clear coming down the home straight. However, Moorefield, the great champions they were, weren’t willing to give up. Adam Tyrrell registered a point, before they got to penalties in the space of a few minutes. Tyrrell took the first penalty but his effort was saved, before Eanna O’Connor fired the second to the back of the net. However, the game was all but over when Shane Doyle got Sarsfields third goal of the game after Tom Kinsella (goalkeeper for Moorefield) went wandering out the field.

Sarsfields: Paddy O’Sullivan; Shea Ryan, Sean Campbell, Tom Aspell, Con Kavanagh, Ciaran McEnerney Aspell, Darragh Ryan 0-02, Matty Byrne, Caoimhin McDonnell, Declan McKenna 0-02, Ben McCormack 0-04, Conor Hartley 0-02, Barry Coffey 0-03 (0-2fs), Ray Cahill 0-02 (0-02fs), Cian Costigan 1-00.

Subs used: David Shalvey for McDonnell 37 mins, Diarmuid Hartley for Campbell 40 mins, Alan Smith for Cahill 45 mins, Shane Doyle 1-00 for Costigan 51 mins, Brian McDonnell for McEnerney Aspell 57 mins.

Moorefield: Tom Kinsella; Sean Healy, Liam Healy, Sean Dempsey, Liam Callaghan, Kevin Murnaghan, James Murray, Aaron Masterson, Cian O’Connor 0-01, Adam Tyrrell 0-02 (0-01f), Eddie Heavey 0-01, Niall Hurley Lynch 1-00, Ciaran Kelly 0-02, Jason Phillips, Eanna O’Connor 1-03 (0-02fs).

Subs used: Anthony Durney for Murnaghan 18 mins, David Whyte for Phillips 34 mins, Eamonn Callaghan for Kelly 43 mins, Daryl Flynn for Hurley Lynch 46 mins, Daire Dunne for Heavey 60 mins, Eoin O’Connor for L.Callaghan 61 mins


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.