All-Ireland Qualifier: Cork book Super 8 spot with 4-20 to 1-15 win over Laois

Cork 4-20 Laois 1-15

Cork put in a massive performance against Laois to come away with a 14 point win from Thurles. Ronan McCarthy’s side were very impressive and it was Brian Hurley and Mark Collins that done most of the damage. The Rebels now face Dublin next Saturday at Croke Park, before playing Tyrone a week later at the same venue, before playing Roscommon in their final round game at home.

Laois made a good start to the game and could have had a goal inside the first minute. Donie Kingston showing power and pace to get past Kevin Flahive only to see his low shot flash past the post and wide. The game would go on to be open and free-flowing as the scoreline suggests. However, neither side would get a first-half goal. Laois were struggling on their own kick-out Graham Brody finding it hard to go short as the Cork players pushed up on every kick-out. However, when Laois did have the ball they did well. Colm Murphy, Donie Kingston and Eoin Lowry providing the majority of the Laois men scores in the opening half. Cork trailed by 0-04 to 0-03 after 18 minutes, but Cork were gradually coming more and more into the game. Mark Collins scoring the majority of first-half scores for the Leesiders. Donie Kingston had the scores at 0-8 to 0-7, after 30 minutes. Brian Hurley, Ruairi Deane, Mark Collins and Ronan O’Toole all pointing to make it 0-12 to 0-07.

Cork made a blistering start to the second half. Paul Kerrigan who was introduced as a substitute made an instant impact. He ran down the wing passed the ball to Mark Collins who passed it to Brian Hurley who finished volley style to the net. Cork added two points to their total through Brian Hurley and Liam O’Donovan after 41 minutes. However, things would go from bad to worse for Laois. On 42 minutes Brian Hurley had the second goal of the game as he turned Dennis Booth before firing to the net giving Brody no chance. Mark Collins would go on to add a free. It took Laois 10 minutes of the second half to register their first point with Donie Kingston pointing, a goal looked on though. Trevor Collins and Mark Barry pointed for Laois, but the game was all but settled when Cork another goal. This time Hurley turned provider for Collins who finished to the net.

Laois didn’t give up in fairness to them. They indeed got a goal themselves on 55 minutes when Donie Kingston found Martin Scully who finished past Mark White, 3-17 to 1-10 now. Evan O’Carroll and Donie Kingston pointed to try to keep Laois in touch but the game was all but over when Paul Kerrigan netted on 66 minutes.


Cork: Mark White; Kevin O’Donovan, James Loughrey, Kevin Flahive; Liam O’Donovan 0-01, Thomas Clancy, Mattie Taylor; Ian Maguire, Killian O’Hanlon; Kevin O’Driscoll 0-01, Sean White, Ruairi Deane 0-02; Luke Connolly, Brian Hurley 2-04, Mark Collins 1-08 (0-04f).

Subs: Ronan O’Toole 0-01 for O’Hanlon (15, inj), Paul Kerrigan 1-01 for Connolly (ht), Tomas Clancy for Clancy (43, black card), Aidan Browne for Loughrey (45), Michael Hurley for B Hurley (52), Stephen Cronin for Maguire (61), Stephen Sherlock 0-02 (’45) for Deane (65)

Laois: Graham Brody; Stephen Attride, Denis Booth, Gareth Dillon; Trevor Collins 0-01, Robert Pigott,  Patrick O’Sullivan; John O’Loughlin, Kieran Lillis; Daniel O’Reilly, Paul Kingston, Martin Scully 1-00; Donie Kingston 0-10 (7f), Colm Murphy 0-01, Eoin Lowry 0-01.

Subs: Colm Begley for O’Sullivan (ht), Evan O’Carroll 0-01 for P Kingston (43), Sean Byrne for O’Reilly (45), Mark Barry 0-01 for Murphy (45), David Seale for Booth (55), Sean O’Flynn for Dillon (62)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.