All-Ireland Qualifier: Mayo win 2-13 to 1-13 to end seven game losing streak against Galway

Mayo 2-13 Galway 1-13

Mayo claimed a 2-13 TO 1-13 win over Galway at LIT Gaelic Grounds on Saturday with a crowd just short of 18,000. James Horan will be delighted and he now has a couple of games in the Super 8’s. Mayo missed out on the Super 8’s last year for the first time seven seasons and they had to beat Down and Armagh before beating their neighbours to reach the quarter-final stages. Mayo will now play Kerry next weekend in Killarney, before playing Meath or Clare in Croke Park a week later, before they conclude with a home game against Donegal.

The game was fiery from the off even before the ball was thrown in. Players in midfield trying to gain the upper hand. Donie Vaughan and James Carr started instead of Michael Plunkett and Ciaran Treacy. Lee Keegan who was reported to be injured all week was named on the bench. Galway had Bernard Power in goals, Eamonn Brannigan replaced Sean Andy O’Ceallaigh while Sean Kelly replaced Thomas Flynn.

Mayo raced into a two-point lead. Bernard Power struggled in the opening few minutes and he hit a kick-out over the sideline which was returned to the inside forward line. James Carr coming up trumps for Mayo firing in his first goal. Carr would get another goal within minutes this one was superb. He ran through unchallenged before unleashing an unstoppable shot to the top left-hand corner. Mayo were now 2-02 to 0-02 ahead. Peter Cooke to his credit kept Galway in touch as did Cillian McDaid and Gary O’Donnell. Kevin Walsh obviously wasn’t happy with what he was seeing. He introduced Sean Andy O’Ceallaigh for Eoghan Kerin on 26 minutes. Galway managed to register three unanswered points but they still went in at the break 2-07 to 0-07 down. Cillian O’Connor registering a couple of frees before the break.

Damien Comer was introduced in the second half by Kevin Walsh but any ball he got on he was swallowed up by the Mayo defence rather quickly. Chris Barrett was then adjudged to have committed a foot block after Ian Burke’s shot in the square, therefore Joe McQuillan awarded a penalty. Corofin All-Ireland winner Liam Silke marched forward to take the penalty but his effort was saved by Mayo netminder David Clarke out for a 45. The 45 would be kicked over by Shane Walsh, before Eamonn Brannigan and Kieran Molloy both registered white flags. It was going right down to the wire now. Mayo went 17 minutes without scoring with the gap now at three. Coen and O’Connor pointing to maintain the advantage. They maintained the three-point lead to secure three more big games this summer, Galway had Ian Burke sent off picking up his second yellow card, while John and Michael Daly picked up black cards meaning Galway ended the game with 12 men. Shane Walsh got a Galway goal right at the death from a free but it was too little to late.

Mayo: David Clarke; Chris Barrett, Brendan Harrison, Keith Higgins; Patrick Duggan, Colm Boyle; Donal Vaughan (0-01); Stephen Coen (0-01), Aidan O’Shea; Fionn McDonagh, Jason Doherty (0-01), Kevin McLoughlin (0-01); Cillian O’Connor (0-06, 4f), Darren Coen (0-03), James Carr (2-00)

Subs: Ciarán Treacy for McLoughlin 50 mins; Evan Regan for Carr 55 mins; Lee Keegan for McDonagh 64 mins; Michael Plunkett for Doherty 69 mins; Eoghan O’Donoghue for Durcan 73 mins; Seamus O’Shea for Vaughan 76 mins

Galway: Bernard Power; Eoghan Kerin, Eamonn Brannigan (0-02), Liam Silke; Gary O’Donnell (0-01), Cillian McDaid (0-01), John Daly; Sean Kelly, Michael Daly (0-01); Peter Cooke (0-04), Shane Walsh (1-03, 2f, 1 ’45′), Johnny Heaney, Declan Kyne, Martin Farragher, Ian Burke

Subs: Sean Andy O’Ceallaigh for Kerin 25 mins; Damien Comer for Kelly HT; Damien Comer for Kelly HT; Anthony Ó Laoí for Farragher 42 mins; Tomás Flynn for McDaid 55 mins; Kieran Mollloy (0-01) for Heaney 60 mins; Adrian Varley for Brannigan 65 mins


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.