All-Ireland Qualifier: Tyrone give Breffni the blues in 1-20 to 0-07 win

Tyrone 1-20 Cavan 0-07

Tyrone stormed into the Super 8’s with a 16 point win over Cavan at St Tiernach’s Park, Clones on Saturday evening. Mickey Harte will be delighted his side are back in the latter stages of the championship, while he will also be delighted with how easy it was for his side against the Ulster finalists. The win sets up a Super 8 meeting with Roscommon next weekend at Dr. Hyde Park.

A crowd of over 11,000 were treated to a commanding display from the Red Hands. Niall Murray got the opening score of the game for Cavan, that was cancelled out from Brian Kennedy. Niall Morgan then landed a monstrous free from all of 58 metres. He directed it straight over the bar with 10 minutes played. Niall Sludden and Gearoid McKiernan then traded scores, before Raymond Galligan had to make a good save to prevent a goal from Kennedy. Morgan converted the resulting 45. Tyrone were now causing damage and they kicked seven points in a row to leave a good bit of daylight between the sides. Darren McCurry kicked three of them all of them in a row, Colm Cavanagh and the impressive McShane register the other two white flags. Cavan hit a bad pitch and didn’t score in 16 minutes until Conor Madden pointed on 28 minutes. McShane had the final say of the half with a free and it was 0-12 to 0-03 at the break.

Tyrone pushed on further in the second half despite Killian Clarke, Padraig Faulkner and Cian Mackey trying their best. Mattie Donnelly and Michael Cassidy were a constant threat with their direct running. Niall Sludden and Peter Harte added further scores. Killian Clarke was given a black card on 45 minutes and with that Cavan’s chance of any comeback was gone. Tyrone were 12 points ahead approaching the final quarter. Kieran McGeary and Peter Harte finding McShane before he kicked over a few scores. Cavan were down and out but Tyrone didn’t let up and Ben McDonnell fetched a long high ball from Colm Cavanagh to finish to the back of the net on 61 minutes. It was pretty much plain sailing for Tyrone who now head to the Super 8’s full of confidence.

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-02, 1f, 1 ’45); HP McGeary, R McNamee, R Brennan; M Cassidy, F Burns, C Meyler; C Cavanagh (0-01), B Kennedy (0-01); M Donnelly, N Sludden (0-02), P Harte (0-05, 4f); D McCurry (0-03), C McShane (0-05, 3f), K McGeary.

Subs: K Coney for McCurry (45), P Hampsey for HP McGeary (48), M McKernan for Cassidy (49), B McDonnell (1-00) for K McGeary (54), C McCann (0-01) for Sludden (58), R Donnelly for McShane (60)

Cavan: R Galligan; J McLoughlin, P Faulkner, C Moynagh; C Rehill, K Clarke, Ciaran Brady; Conor Brady, G McKiernan (0-02, 2f); N Murray (0-02, 2f), D McVeety (0-01), G Smith (0-01); O Kiernan, C Mackey, M Reilly.

Subs: C Madden (0-01) for Rehill (21), O Kiernan for McLoughlin (31), C O’Reilly for Brady (h-t), S Murray for Reilly (h-t), T Galligan for Clarke (BC 45), K Brady for Faulkner (54)

Referee: B Cassidy (Derry)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.