All-Ireland Semi-Final: Dublin produce sizzling second half performance to beat Mayo 3-14 to 1-10

Dublin 3-14 Mayo 1-10

Dublin remain on course for five in a row with a 10 point win over Mayo at a sold-out Croke Park. It was the third quarter of the game that Dublin put the foot on the gas as they dominated their opponents. Dublin trailed at the break 0-08 to 0-06, but the turned things around inside the first seven minutes of the second going on to register 1-5 without reply. That would go to 2-06 without reply inside the first 12 minutes of the half.

James Horan opted to make three late changes to his side, bringing in Matthew Ruane, Donal Vaughan and Diarmuid O’Connor. Jim Gavin opted to bring in Jonny Cooper as a late change for Cian O’Sullivan. It was Mayo that made an excellent start to this game as Cillian O’Connor registered a free after 2 minutes, that was followed up with a sliced effort from Seamus O’Shea to make it 0-02 to 0-00. It took Dublin 6 minutes to get on the scoreboard when Dean Rock pointed from a free into the Hill 16 end. James Carr put Mayo, only for Paul Mannion to score a brace of points to put the All-Ireland Champions ahead. Mannion first effort though could have and probably should have been a goal. Cillian O’Connor equalised at the other end. Paddy Durcan pointed to leave Mayo just one point ahead midway through the half. Cillian O’Connor extended the lead out to two when he pointed on 25 minutes, 0-06 to 0-04 now. Dublin didn’t score for 14 minutes but then Rock popped up with a free, the inspirational Colm Boyle though kicked a superb score in reply. Paddy Durcan added his second point in stoppage time before Brian Howard closed the scoring for the half.

Dublin came thundering out for the second half and they meant business. Dean Rock floated a free over inside the first 30 seconds of the half. The first Dublin goal then arrived when Con O’Callaghan brushed aside Lee Keegan before firing past Robbie Hennelly to the left-hand corner of the net. Niall Scully had another goal chance, but it was blasted over and Dublin led by 1-08 to 0-08. Paul Mannion pointed and then Rock kicked over another free as the gap was out to five on 41 minutes. Cuala man O’Callaghan grabbed his second goal of the game on 46 minutes once again getting the better of Lee Keegan. Mannion fired over another point for the Dubs to make it 2-12 to 0-08. Mayo got a goal of their own through Lee Keegan on 52 minutes, however, Dean Rock hit his seventh free of the night before Fenton all but killed off the game with a good finish past Hennelly with 60 minutes to play. Stephen Coen landed Mayo’s first point of the half on 62 minutes. Jim Gavin could afford the luxury of bringing on Paddy Andrews, Cormac Costello and Diarmuid Connolly, while Mayo were reduced to 14 men after Cillian O’Connor was sent off on a second yellow card in stoppage time.

Dublin now await the winners of Kerry v Tyrone which takes place on Sunday.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.