Cork book Munster final with win over Deise

Cork booked their place in the Munster Hurling Final on July 1st with Clare after a  1-23 to 1-20 win over Waterford at Thurles on Sunday afternoon.

Cork trailed by a point in injury time, but they fought back with Pat Horgan, Shane Kingston, Colm Spillane and Seamus Harnedy raising white flags to get the win. The game itself began bright with Waterford who had nothing to play for in this game controlling the first 20 minutes. The Suirsiders in fact led by 0-10 to 0-6. Cork hit the next three though with Horgan, Kearney and Lehane all pointing. However, Derek McGrath’s underdogs went on an reeled five of the next seven points, with Mahony, Ryan and Devine all raising white flags. Waterford lead by 0-15 to 0-11 at the break.

Cork began the second half the better with Bill Cooper scoring from the left wing. Scores started to dry up then for 10 minutes or so before a Horgan free on 46 minutes, which was swiftly responded to by DJ Foran. Bill Cooper was on target again, this time from out of the right wing, which left just two between the sides 0-16 to 0-14. With 20 minutes to go there was little to separate the sides and Mark Coleman popped over a spectacular sideline to leave only one between the sides with 50 minutes played. Tom Devine was then denied a shot on goal from superb defending from corner back Conor O’Sullivan and Cork went down the other end and won a free which Horgan tapped up to level up the sides 0-16 each. On 54 minutes Waterford struck a devastating goal, Tommy Ryan eased his way through the Cork defence to finish past Anthony Nash. Ryan then got a nice point, which Lehane then responded to for Cork. 1-16 to 0-16 now. Waterford retained that dangerous three point lead up until 62 minutes, with Bill Cooper pointing his third and Coleman pointing another either side of a score from Maurice Shanahan. It was all to play for now in the final five minutes with just two points separating the sides 1-18 to 0-19.

Seamus Harnedy got the much needed Cork goal but Mahony pointed a free on 68 minutes to draw the sides back level once again. However, there were seven additional minutes added on in which Cork took control. They outscored Waterford 0-4 to 0-1 in that period which was essentially the difference between the sides. It was Kingston, Horgan, Lehane and Harnedy that all got those crucial to set Cork up with a July 1st Munster Final with Clare in a game that will likely take place in Thurles but is yet to be confirmed.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.