Dublin Senior football final: St Vincent’s and Ballymun Kickhams go to replay

Ballymun Kickhams and St Vincents will lock horns again tonight in the Dublin Club Football Championship after Sunday’s final ended in a draw after extra time.

Boylesports has installed last year’s winners, Ballymun Kickhams, as the 4/6 favourites to win the replay in 70 minutes whilst St Vincents are outsiders at 13/8.

Ireland’s largest independent bookmaker is offering 8/15 that Ballymun Kickhams lift the Dublin Football Championship trophy whilst St Vincents are priced at 11/8 to lift the trophy.

Ballymun Kickhams will be hoping that they can win the All-Ireland Football Club Championship having been beaten by St Brigid’s this year in the final. Ballymun are currently 5/1 to land the All-Ireland title whilst St Vincents are on offer at 12/1.

Leon Blanche, Head of Communications at Boylesports said “Wednesday night’s replay is set to be another close game with the handicap spread very narrow at just one point.”

He added “Ballymun Kickhams have already proven very popular at 11/8 to win the Leinster Senior Club Football title for the second year in a row.”

Match betting from Boylesports.com

6th November                                                                         Home  Draw   Away

Ballymun Kickhams V St Vincents                                           4/6       7/1       13/8

Handicap Betting

Ballymun Kickhams (-1) 10/11

Tie 15/2

St Vincents (+1) 11/10

Draw No Bet

Ballymun Kickhams 8/15

St Vincents 11/8

To lift the trophy

Ballymun Kickhams 8/15

St Vincents 11/8

Leinster Club SFC 2013 Outright

Ballymun Kickhams 11/8

St Vincents 11/4

Portlaoise 5/1

Moorefield 7/1

16/1 Bar

All Ireland Club SFC Championships Outright

Dr Crokes 15/8

Corofin 9/2

Ballymun Kickhams 5/1

Crossmaglen Rangers 5/1

St Brigids 15/2

St Vincents 12/1

Ballinderry 12/1

16/1 Bar

EW 1/2 1, 2


St Vincent’s and Ballymun Kickhams will have to meet again on Wednesday evening before the 2013 Dublin Senior football champions are crowned following a dramatic draw at Parnell Park on Sunday.

St Vincent’s 1-17 Ballymun Kickhams 20 (AET)

Not even extra time could separate the neighbours in an entertaining affair, played out before a packed house at the Donnycarney venue.

The defending champions started brighter and were 2-0 courtesy of a Dean Rock point from play. Elliot Reilly quickly added the second. Mossy Quinn then got Vincents off the mark from play followed by a pointed free before Andy O’ Brien scored from a difficult angle off his left.

Vincents then upped the pace as Quinn who was causing hassle in the Ballymun back line for Philly McMahon missed a goal chance. It was obvious from early on that Gavin Burke was going to have an exertable influence on this game.  If he was not setting up scores, he was taking them. The first of his many assists coming in the 12th minute with a good direct ball into Dorney to score.  Mossy was causing havoc at this stage and drew a foul before he converted to leave the game at 4-4.

Vincents were becoming more tenacious in the tackle and Burke was on hand to score his first point of the day after an overturned ball from down the field.  At the other end, Derek Byrne was fouled as Rock converted the next two frees to leave it at 6-5 with twenty minutes gone.

Alan Hubbard increased the lead to two with a superb point to leave them two up before Vincents fans drew breath as a goal chance was cleared off the line.

Vincents had a welcome free at the other end as the clock ticked towards the break but the reliable Quinn missed an easy chance. But Rock was not to miss the same opportunity from the resulting clearance as the half time score read eight points to five.

It was the trailing team that  were quickest out of the blocks in the 2nd half with Burke again popping up in the right places, with two wonderful points.  Connolly was then fouled and it was a drawn game.

Burke was beginning to steal the show at this stage as he edged Vincents back in front with another super score, his third of the second half.

Substitutes were introduced for Ballymun as Conor Weir palmed a goal chance over the bar. It was helter skelter stuff at this stage as the football flowed. Ballymun in this period took charge as they added two quick points in the 40th and 41st minute. Mccarthy with one from play before Rock pointed a free.  Ballymun looking more comfortable on the ball and more assured in the forward line as Derek Byrne recovered from a slip to score a gem of a point from play. The scoreboard reading 13 points to 9.

Ruairi Trainor kept Vincents in touch as he pointed.  Leahy then stepped up for Ballymun as he scored with a sweet curling effort from the right hand side. It hung in the air before the umpire raised the white flag. Mossy replied at the other end with a free for Vincents.

Dean Rock then used the ball cleverly to shoot and score as Ballymun looked to be heading for back to back titles. Conor Weir looked to have sealed it as he shot over when loosely marked in the corner and allowed space to convert.

Vincents however had other ideas.  They needed a goal and substitute Kevin Golden supplied it as he shot low and hard to beat Sean Currie in the goal. Man of the match Burke then stepped up with a clever point before they added one more through half forward Shane Carthy to send it to extra time.

Full time score

St Vincent’s 1-13

Ballymun Kickhams 0-16


Ballymun still reeling from losing a five point lead were sluggish in the first period of extra time as  Connolly drove the ball between the posts to score.  Substitute Jason Welby then equalised for Ballymun. Nevertheless Vincents looked more composed.  Daithi Murphy playing a pivitol role at midfield.  Connolly and Burke combined not for the first time as he pointed in front of goals. Tommy Conroy’s men carried a 2 point lead into half-time.

Ballymun were not going to surrender that easily and reeled off the next three points in extra time.  Dean Rock and Ted Furman on hand for 2012 champions.

Again, Ballymun looked to have sealed it with a one point lead as time ran out. Cometh the man, cometh the hour as Diarmuid Connolly shot straight over the bar to send the final to a replay this Wednesday evening. The aforementioned caused havoc all day with his power dragging in defenders before cleverly laying off the ball.

In truth, a draw was most likely the fairest result.  It was a competitive open game of football with some wonderful scores to boot. Ballymun will wonder how they left it behind them, while Vincent’s will want a repeat performance from Connolly and man of the match Burke if they are to close the 6 year gap since last winning.

Final score

St Vincent’s 1-17

Ballymun Kickhams 20 (AET)



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.