So another week has passed in the Allianz Hurling League and Limerick are the form side with 3 wins from 3 games to date. The rest of the league looks very close with Wexford, Cork, Kilkenny, Tipperary battling it out for a quarter final spot. Galway and Waterford are going well in Division 1b, I expect it to go down to the last games. Looking at the weekend we have come up with our team of the week below
1: Nickie Quaid (Limerick) – Was very assured in the Limerick goal. Kept a clean sheet which is a massive plus going into next weekend game with Cork.
2. Tom Condon (Limerick) – Superb from Condon who was named man of the match in the win over Kilkenny got forward a lot as well and contributed a long range score.
3. Darren Byrne (Wexford) – He was up against Seamus Callanan and in fairness did very well. One of Wexford’s best players on the day.
4. Noel Connors (Waterford) – Strong in defence for Waterford against Carlow a leader as he so often is and set up some attacks from the back as well.
5. Tim O’Mahony (Cork) – Played well for Cork in their win over Clare. Scored a nice point as well at the end of the half to finish the scoring
6. Padraic Mannion (Galway) – solid at centre half back for Galway. Drove forward with every opportunity. Becoming a key player for them in defence.
7. Aidan Harte (Galway) – Another assured performance from Harte. Great going forward and his defence duties were superb. Scored a nice point also.
8. Diarmuid O ‘Keeffe(Wexford) – Scored three points for Wexford from play from midfield. One of the best players on the field in win over Tipperary
9 Cathal Mannion (Galway)- Galway’s best player against Dublin. Contributed 0-04 from play from midfield in a superb game.
10 Shane Dowling (Limerick) – Scored a good goal that got Limerick ahead and from there on the Shannonsiders never looked back.
11 Tony Kelly (Clare) – 0-06 from play from the Ballyhea maestro. Man of the match despite losing to Cork says it all.
12 Richie Leahy (Kilkenny) – Took over from Kevin Kelly from free taking duties. Scored 0-03 from play Kilkenny’s best player on the day .
13 Mark Kavanagh (Laois) – Accuracy from placed balls was superb .
14 Stephen Bennett (Waterford) – Was superb for Waterford in a dominant display against Carlow.
15 Aaron Gillane (Limerick) – Limerick leader scored 0-09 , 4 from play fastly becoming one of the best in the game.