GAA Results: Canning fires Galway to victory over Wexford

Galway 3-21 Wexford 3-11

Joe Canning was the key man for Galway as he so often is as he punished the Wexford defence to hit 0-15 (0-14f) at Pearse Stadium on Saturday. The win now means the Tribesmen will take on Waterford in the semi-finals of the league. Galway outscored their opponents 3-08 to 0-06 in the second half despite playing against the wind.

Conor McDonald gave Wexford a good start inside the opening 8 minutes when he banged in a goal. However, Joe Canning’s accuracy from placed balls had them ahead by 0-08 to 0-06. Lee Chin went on to point, before Naomh Eanna man McDonald grabbed his second goal after he grabbed a long ball to  fire to the net. Canning knocked over another couple of points to level terms on 2-04 to 0-10 after 28 minutes. Cathal Mannion then edged Galway ahead. Galway conceded yet another goal though, after Lee Chin got on the end of rebound shot from Cathal Dunbar. Canning hit two further frees, but Paul Morris responded.

Galway turned on the style early on the resumption, Canning levelled the game with a free inside the opening minute. Cathal Mannion scored a superb goal after taking a good pass from Davy Glennon, he gave Mark Fanning no chance. Canning hit another free, before Niall Burke and Brian Concannon put Galway in full control. Morris tapped over an easy free for the visitors but it was all Galway ,they got the second goal after Davy Glennon shot was saved from close range only for Niall Burke to scrape it over the line. Canning and Mannion added further white flags, before the game was sealed with Tadgh Harnan’s goal.

Galway: Fergal Flannery; Jack Grealish, Paul Killeen, Darren Morrissey; Aidan Harte, Padraic Mannion (c), Géaroíd McInerney; Cathal Mannion (1-02), Seán Loftus; Niall Burke (1-01), Joe Canning (0-15, 0-13f, 0-01’65), Conor Whelan (0-01); Seán Bleahene (), Brian Concannon (0-02), Thomas Monaghan.

Subs: Kevin Hussey for P Mannion (22 mins), Johnny Coen for Morrisey (h-t), Davy Glennon for Monaghan (34), Seán Kilduff for Killeen (61-62), for Harte (64), Tadhg Haran (1-00) for Bleahene (69).

Wexford: Mark Fanning; Damien Reck, Liam Ryan, Simon Donohoe; Paudie Foley, Matthew O’Hanlon (0-01), Shaun Murphy; Jack O’Connor, Kevin Foley; Aidan Nolan (0-01), Lee Chin (1-02), Diarmuid O’Keeffe (0-01); Cathal Dunbar, Paul Morris (0-04, 0-03f, 0-01’65), Conor McDonald (2-02, 0-01f).

Subs: Darren Byrne for Ryan (39mins), Liam Óg McGovern for J O’Connor (47), Shane Reck for D Byrne (52), Ian Byrne for Chin (59), Harry Kehoe for Morris (69).

Referee: Cathal McAllister (Cork).


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.