GAA Results: Galway beat Dubs in crucial encounter

Galway 0-20 Dublin 1-11

Galway got the better of Dublin by 6 poinys at Pearse Stadium to set up a big battle with Waterford in a few weeks time. It was four points from Cathal Mannion that proved the difference as Micheal Donoghue’s men maintained  their unbeaten start to the Allianz leagues, albeit they drew with Carlow.

Danny Sutcliffe’s goal kept Mattie Kenny’s men in touch after Galway made a superb start . Joe Canning coming to the fore for Galway with eight frees, while Conor Whelan and Gearoid McInerney also returned to the starting line up . Galway played with the wind in the first half as they looked to build up a lead and they did just that as Davy Glennon was tormenting the Dublin defence. He was fouled twice which Canning pointed, before Sean Blehane pointed on 5 minutes .

Aidan Harte was fouled after some good play and once again Canning pointed from it punishing the Dublin players. Galway lead by 0-04 to 0-00. Dublin get their first score of the game until the 12th minute with a point coming from John Hetherton after Eamonn Dillion was fouled. The Galway half back line was very dominant and that is probably were they won this game. However , Dublin got the only goal of the game on 15 minutes to bring life into the game he got on the end of Oisin O’Rourke assist to tap home. Galway were well on top and pushed on with 5 points in 8 minutes . Galway hurling well and winning 0-10 to 1-01. Mattie Kenny made substitutes as his attack were misfiring he introduced David Treacy and Liam Rushe. Rian McBride added two nice scores,but further scores from Canning, Mannion, Flynn extended the lead to 0-13 to 1-04 at half time.

Donal Burke was introduced and he made a nice impact scoring a point .however Davy Glennon responded almost instantly. Galway stretched the lead out to eight points, however David Treacy hit a 65, which was followed up by a third score from Rian McBride. However Galway were still in control and Cathal Mannion pointed his second. It was 0-17 to 1-08 after 57 minutes Cathal Mannion getting his third, Sean Moran pointing for Dublin.

Eamonn Dillion pointed for Dublin but Joe Canning hit his right free before Mannion got his fourth of the night. Alan Nolan was perhaps lucky enough not to sent off for a high challenge on Tom Murnaghan.

Galway: Fergal Flannery; Jack Grealish, Ronan Burke, Aidan Harte (0-01); Kevin Hussey, Padraic Mannion, Gearoid McInterney; Cathal Mannion (0-04), Sean Loftus (0-01); Niall Burke (0-01), Joe Canning (0-08, 0-08f), Conor Whelan (0-01); Sean Bleahene (0-02), Jason Flynn (0-01), Davy Glennon (0-01).

Subs used: Thomas Monaghan for Glennon (55), Paul Killeen for Hussey (67), Kevin Cooney for Flynn (69), Sean Kilduff for Loftus (73), Jarlath Mannion for Bleahene (73).

Dublin: Alan Nolan; Eoghan O’Donnell, Paddy Smyth, Cian O’Callaghan; Chris Crummey, Seán Moran (0-01, 0-01f), Shane Barrett; Darragh O’Connell, Rian McBride (0-03, 0-01sl); Jake Malone, John Hetherton (0-01, 0-01f), Fergal Whitely; Danny Sutcliffe (1-00), Eamonn Dillon (0-02), Oisín O’Rorke.

Subs used: David Treacy (0-03, 0-01 65, 0-02f) for Whitely (21), Liam Rushe for Hetherton (26), Donal Burke (0-01) for O’Connell (35), Daire Gray for O’Callaghan (38), Seán Treacy for O’Rorke (48).

Referee: James Owens (Wexford).


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.