GAA Results – Limerick beat Dublin in minor semi final

Limerick got the better of Dublin in Sunday’s All Ireland Minor Hurling Championship semi-final that was played as a curtain raiser to the senior semi-final at Croke Park.

Limerick 1-18 Dublin 0-15

Brian Ryan personal haul of 10 points proved decisive as the Shannonsiders bounced back from their Munster Championship heartache to secure an All-Ireland Final spot against either Galway or Tipperary on the first Sunday in September.

The Shannonsiders were hammered by Tipperary in the Munster Final by a massive 17 points but seized their second chance to set up another potential clash with the Premier men. Dublin came into the game as Leinster Champions having defeated Wexford 2-12 to 0-12, but they played second fiddle to Limerick for most of the game.

Limerick, who were beaten by Kilkenny in the decider two years ago led by 10 points at one stage in the first half and went in at the break ahead by 9, on a score of 1-13 to 0-07, the goal coming Cian Magnier-Flynn after 13 minutes. Ryan was excellent from play and from placed balls and he kept Dublin at arm’s length with his accuracy. Kyle Hayes, Conor Boylan and Anthony Barrett also got in on the scoring in opening half.

The second half was a much tighter affair, in fact Dublin won the second half 0-08 to 0-05. However, they left themselves to far a gap to make any come back and pull of what would have been one of the greatest comebacks in minor hurling championship history. Colin Currie was good for Dublin from placed balls and he consistently punished the slack Limerick defending.

However, Dublin needed a goal to realistically put doubts into the Limerick minds, but that never came.  Man of the match Ryan topped off a fine individual performance with two late frees to put the seal on the Limerick win.


LIMERICK: M O’Kelly (0-01, 0-01f); B Nash, R Connelly, C Nicholas; F Hourigan (0-01), J Boylan, J Adams; M O’Grady, D Carroll; C Boylan (0-02), A Barrett (0-01), B Ryan (0-10, 0-08f); C Magnier-Flynn (1-01), K Hayes (0-02), C O’Connor.

Subs used: J Flynn for Carroll (46), D Woulfe for Barrett (49), P O’Riordan for Magnier-Flynn (58), M Bourke for O’Grady (61).


DUBLIN: D de Poire; D Hawkshaw, P Smyth, D Ryan; J McVeigh, C O’Sullivan, E Foley (0-01); C Ryan, D Keogh; C Burke, C Dowling (0-02), D Burke (0-01); C Currie (0-08, 0-06f, 0-02 65), J McGuirk (0-02, 0-01f), R Hayes.

Subs used: J Walsh for Hayes (h/t), D Gray (0-01) for Keogh (h/t), J O’Neill for McVeigh (48), P Feeney for Currie (49), S Currie for McGuirk (54).

Referee: J Heffernan (Wexford)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.