GAA Results – Mayo beat Tipperary in the All-Ireland Football Semi-Final

Mayo will once again play in the All-Ireland final after a far from impressive display by the westerners who only played to their ability for ten minutes.

Mayo 2-13 Tipperary 0-14

Tipperary at Croke Park. In a crowd of over 53,000 Tipperary put in a fine performance and should be very proud of reaching an All-Ireland semi-final.

Andy Moran kicked the opening score of the game for Mayo after 4 minutes, before Philip Austin responded in less than a minute later the Premier county. Michael Quinlivan put Tipperary ahead after 8 minutes of play when he tapped over a free. Cillian O’Connor responded for Mayo with a free of his own. Then came one of the games big decisions. Tipperary centre back Robbie Kiely was shown the black card by referee Dave Coldrick after he appeared to drag down Jason Doherty. However, on second looking it looked a bit harsh, especially after only 8 minutes of play. However, the black card seemed to spur Tipperary on, Kevin O’Halloran got a nice point from a free and Quinlivan kicked another point on 15 minutes to increase Tipperary’s lead to 2 points. Mayo fought back with a free from O’Connor to narrow the gap to two, but once again Tipperary responded through a free from Quinlivan. Then on 26 minutes, Conor Sweeney kicked a fine point to stretch the lead to three. Mayo got the first goal of the game through Jason Doherty, however all the credit should go to Keith Higgins who stormed through the heart of the Tipperary defence before finding Doherty who had the easiest of  finished to the net. With the half hour approaching, Kevin McLoughlin pointed and Andy Moran added a further point. Lee Keegan stretched the lead to four with a fine long range kicked, that man Conor Sweeney responded for Tipperary on 34 minutes and that was the last score of the half. Mayo went in at the break 6 points up, 1-10 to 0-07.

Upon the restart Kevin O’Halloran pointed for Tipperary, to narrow the gap to five. On 45 minutes Mayo’s lead was cut to two points as Quinlivan and Sweeney pointed. There was no score in the game until 56 minutes then, until Colm Boyle drove up the field and kicked a fine score from play. Mayo started the second half poor to be fair and they should have killed the game but they failed to do so. Conor O’Shea was introduced in the second half and he got a goal which was very lucky in fairness.  Evan Regan appeared to be going for a point but it skewed of his foot and went into the path of O’Shea who finished passed Evan Comerford in the Tipperary goal. Bill Maher was then sent off for no apparent reason to the naked eye, it looked from television replays that Maher just pushed his opponent. Cillian O’Connor pointed on 68 minutes from a free to put the gap to 7 points. Michael Quinlivan pointed a late free in injury time for Tipperary but it was far too late for the Premier as Mayo booked an All-Ireland Final place against either Kerry or Dublin.

Tipperary (SFC v Mayo): Evan Comerford; Colm O’Shaughnessy, Alan Campbell, Ciarán McDonald; Bill Maher, Robbie Kiely, Jimmy Feehan; Peter Acheson, George Hannigan; Josh Keane, Michael Quinlivan, Brian Fox; Kevin O’Halloran, Conor Sweeney, Philip Austin.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.