O’Byrne Cup GAA Results: Dublin Kildare Meath and DCU remain unbeaten

Wednesday night was the second round of fixtures in this years Bord na Móna O’Byrne Cup. Dublin Kildare Meath and DCU all capitalised on their opening day victories.

Group A

Laois welcomed Offaly to O’Moore Park hoping to get their first win of 2014. This game was a tight encounter with both sides trading scores. Laois worked hard to maintain their first half lead, but Offaly went ahead soon after the restart. However an impressive display from substitute Evan O’Carroll seen Laois finish the stronger with 6 unanswered points to run out 2-18 to 1-15 winners.

In the other game of group A, Wexford welcomed UCD hoping to build on their first round hammering of Laois. This wasn’t to be despite Ciaran Lyng scoring two second half goals. UCD were never troubled by Wexford and ran out 2-12 to 2-03 winners.

Group B

Following the destruction they inflicted on AIT at the weekend, Kildare were looking to bolster their defence of their O’Byrne Cup crown. They faced Longford in what was to be a very one sided affair. Leading by 1-11 to 0-02 at half time, Kildare didn’t let up in the second half and ran out convincing 3-20 to 0-06 winners.

In the other game of group B, AIT were looking to regroup after their heavy weekend defeat to Kildare as they faced Carlow. Carlow, who suffered a heavy defeat to Longford last weekend, lead at half time but couldn’t do enough in the second half. Carlow suffered their second defeat in two games and look to be on course for yet another short footballing season. The final score from Carlow IT grounds was AIT 1-15 to Carlow’s 0-13.

Group C

Meath looked to build on their opening day win over DIT. They faced Carlow IT who were agonisingly close to beating Wicklow at the weekend. Donal Lenihan scored 4 points, along with 9 other players on target for the royals, to leave Meath top of group C with two wins. Carlow IT stayed in contention for the first half but never looked like upsetting Meath as they lost out on a score of 0-18 to 0-12.

In the other game of the night in group C, Wicklow faced 2013 Sigerson cup champions DIT. DIT were looking to pick up form before the Sigerson championship after they were comprehensively beaten by Meath at the weekend. This game was a high scoring affair in comparison to the rest of the night’s fixtures. The teams were level at half time 0-23 to 2-07, with DIT netting their 3rd goal soon after the restart.  A Brendan Kennedy goal for Wicklow restored the faith as Wicklow finished strong to run out 1-21 to 3-13 winners.

Group D

After their hard fought victory against weekend, All Ireland champions Dublin faced off against Louth. Louth, who were beaten by DIT at the weekend, held tight on to Dublin throughout what was to be a cagey affair. Dublin’s lead was at a very low scoring 0-3 to 0-1 at half time. With scores a rarity in the first half, Louth stepped into gear to lead most of the second half. Darragh Nelson was black carded in the second half for Dublin which didn’t help their case. However there was to be yet another Dublin star to be born tonight as substitute Daniel Watson scored 2-01 late on to see the hosts win out 2-06 to 0-08 and deny Louth a first victory of 2014.

After barely losing out to Dublin at the weekend, Paul Bealin’s Westmeath welcomed DCU to Mullingar. Bealin has stated  his intention to experiment with his panel of players and this has ultimately cost them their standing in Group D. Goals from Fox and McGraynor, who continues his blistering form, seen the students lead 2-06 to 0-07. Westmeath hit back through Paul Sharry and Dessie Dolan, but DIT ran out comfortable winners, 2-15 to 2-09.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.