Super 8’s: Mayo’s experience tells in 2-17 to 0-14 win over Meath

Mayo 2-17 Meath 0-14

Mayo earned a 2-17 to 0-14 win over Meath on Sunday afternoon but they were tested for large patches of the game. It was the know-how to close out big games that got them over the line. The Mayo win will now see them battle it out with Donegal for a place in semi-finals, while for Meath they play Kerry in two weeks time with pride to play for.

Michael Newman opened the scoring with a free from around 40 metres with 6 minutes played. Bryan Menton then knocked over another Meath score to make it 0-02 to 0-00. Darren Coen pointed on 9 minutes to open Mayo’s scoring before Fionn McDonagh hit two points over in quick succession to give Mayo the lead. However, James McEntee tied up the scores once more. Newman knocked over another score for the Royals, it was a soccer-style effort and it could have easily been a goal. Ethan Devine and Kevin McLoughlin traded scores on 20 minutes before Seamie O’Shea had a goal chance but he blazed it wide. James Horan’s charges drew level on 24 minutes through Fergal Boland, before Jason Doherty put Mayo ahead. Cillian O’Connor pointed a free to double the advantage, O’Connor and Fionn McDonagh both had chances to add to the lead but some poor shooting let them down, Cillian O’Sullivan scored a sublime point for the Royals, Seamus Lavin kicked a point on the stroke of half time as the sides went in level.

On the resumption, Shane Walsh a substitution for the injured Michael Newman edged Meath ahead with a free of his own. Fergal Boland tied up the scores, only for James Conlon to get a sublime score to edge Andy McEntee’s men ahead. Walsh made it 0-10 to 0-08 with 43 minutes on the clock, Ballintubber man O’Connor replied with a free for Mayo minutes later. Shane Walsh kicked his third free for Meath. Cillian O’Connor then kicked two scores in a matter of minutes on the 51st minute, he scored from a free, before kicking one from play. It was now 0-11 each. Seamus Lavin had a goal opportunity but his effort went over the bar, but Andy Moran a second-half substitute replied. Colm Boyle kicked a fine point on 57 minutes, which was then followed up with a score from Lee Keegan. James Carr then followed up with a point to make it 0-15 to 0-12. Mayo got a goal on 62 minutes, the ball was worked into the full-forward line to O’Connor and Keegan before finding it’s way to McLoughlin who finished to the net. O’Connor kicked a point to make it 1-05 without reply. Shane Walsh kicked his fourth free to reduce the gap to six points before he kicked over his fifth point on 70 minutes also from a free. Andrew Colgan then gave away a penalty after a third man tackle on O’Connor. He was subsequently black carded by Ciaran Branagan. O’Connor took the penalty, but it was saved by Marcus Brennan, however, O’Connor reacted quickest to the rebound to finish to the net. Doherty closed the scoring in the eight-minute of added time.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.