Fitzgibbon Cup review 8th February 2011

    Limerick IT 1-15 UCD 0-15

    Limerick IT overcame the home side in an entertaining game at Belfield yesterday, but as they were only beaten by a three-point margin, UCD stay in the competition, going through to the quarter-finals at the expense of Waterford IT.

    Both colleges tied on points and scoring difference, but UCD advanced because they had scored two points more than WIT over the course of their two round-robin matches.

    Limerick IT were slightly the better side in yesterday’s clash despite being absent the injured Joe Canning and Seamus Callanan. The team were much better balanced all round compared to a UCD side who were much too dependent on Tipperary start, Noel McGrath.

    The sides were level 1-1 to 0-4 after 12 minutes, but LIT then began to take control and outscored the home team by seven points to three over the remainder of the half. Limerick added on two quick points after half-time to move into a 1-10 to 0-7 lead, and it looked like they would win easily.

    However, UCD then stepped up a gear and began their fightback. McGrath was at the centre of everything the side did, scoring some excellent frees and also a sideline cut and point from play. Liam Rushe also played well at full forward and his point with just three minutes remaining looked like saving his side on the day. However LIT hit three late scores to take the points.

    LIT will now play NUIG in the quarter-finals, while UCD face a very strong UL side.

    Scorers – LIT: P O’Brien 1-1, B Gaffney 0-4 (3f), S Tobin, S Lambert 0-3 each, P Browne, S Collins, W Hyland, D Reale 0-1 each. UCD: N McGrath 0-10 (6f, 1 s-l, 1 ’65′), W Walsh 0-2, L Rushe, K Hogan, J O’Loughlin 0-1 each.

    LIT — M Ryan; E Glynn, C Cowan, C Cooney; P Donnellan, J McInerney, J O’Keeffe; P Browne, P O’Brien; S Collins, W Hyland, D Reale; S Lambert, B Gaffney, S Tobin.

    UCD — J Ryan; J Doyle, S Cummins, O Gough; N Prendergast, E O’Shea, S Norton; C MacGiolla-Bhride, D Fox; J O’Loughlin, L Rushe, D O’Connor; N McGrath, K Hogan, W Walsh. Subs: C Allis for D O’Connor (41).

    Ref — O Elliott.

    UCC 4-18

    DCU 1-08

    UCC beat DCU at the Mardyke yesterday afternoon to secure a quarter-final game at Galway-Mayo IT.

    The Cork side were quickly into their stride and inside 20 seconds Graeme Mulcahy had the ball in the back of the DCU net after gathering a Conor O’Sullivan pass. James Nagle and Shane Bourke added points and full-forward James Cassin hit a second goal. Dean Brosnan then added another point before the visitors had got off the mark.

    After such a poor start DCU were always trying to catch up and despite trying hard this was never likely to happen. The weather got worse as the game wore on and it made or very difficult conditions.

    DCU threatened briefly as two Paul McAllister frees closed the gap and were added to by goalkeeper Bill McCormack’s converted penalty, after McAllister had been fouled, to make it 3-8 to 1-4.

    However, UCC hit back with two points from Egan and another from Kevin Keehan and, when Keehan hit goal number four early in the second half, it extended the UCC lead to 17 points.

    Scorers — UCC: G Mulcahy 2-0, D Brosnan 0-5, K Keehan 1-2 (0-1f), W Egan 0-3 (3f), J Cassin 1-0, B O’Sullivan (2f), S Bourke 0-2 each, J Nagle, D Honan, P Haughney, R White 0-1 each. DCU: P McAllister 0-4 (4f), B McCormack 1-0 (1-0 pen), JJ Lennon 0-2 (2f), W O’Brien, E O’Mahony 0-1 each.

    UCC — D McCarthy; M Cahill, P O’Loughlin, C O’Sullivan; J Nagle, K Moran, W Egan; P O’Mahony, D Kearney; S Bourke, K Keehan, D Brosnan; D Honan, J Cassin, G Mulcahy. Subs: R White for Bourke, B O’Sullivan for D Kearney (both half-time), L O’Farrell for Mulcahy (40), P Haughney for Honan (44), W Kearney for O’Loughlin (47).

    DCU — B McCormack; S Kelly, A Moran, W Eviston; A Griffith, B Flaherty, D Hogan; W O’Brien, T Ó hUallacháin; JJ Lennon, A Creane, E O’Mahony; P McAllister, C Woodgate, E Kent. Sub: J Cullen for Ó hUallacháin (41).

    Ref — D Copps (Cork).

    Cork IT 4-13

    Dublin IT 1-13

    Cork IT booked their place in the quarter-finals by beating DIT in Cork, outscore the visitors by 2-9 to 0-3 in the second half.

    Patrick O’ Connor and Colin Fennelly both found the net, while Michael Bowles did two majors. DIT’s only goal came from Paul Ryan.

    The visitors were the better side in the opening half and led at the interval. Ryan was the main threat, giving an exhibition of free taking.

    Trailing by 2-4 to 1-10 at the break, CIT turned the game around as they bagged 1-4 without response in the opening seven minutes of the half.

    One point from play and two frees from Ryan was all DIT could manage in the second half as the home side piled on late pressure.

    The win ensures CIT’s place in the quarters, where they will be joined by defending champions NUIG from Group B.

    Scorers — Cork IT: M Bowles 2-1, C Fennelly 1-2, P O’Connor 1-1 (0-1f), R Clifford 0-3 (2f), P Gould, C Casey 0-2 each, L McLoughlin, R Cashman 0-1 each. Dublin IT: P Ryan 1-6 (1-6f), P Hartley 0-2, H Kehoe, J Walsh, L Og McGovern, M Maloney, E Murphy 0-1 each.

    Cork IT — T Quaid; J O’Callaghan, E Dillon, J Herlihey; S McDonald, R Cashman, C Leahy; S White, L McLoughlin; P O’Connor, C Casey, M Bowles; C Fennelly, M O’Sullivan, R Clifford. Subs: M O’Neill for S White (27 inj), S Daniels for E Dillon (29 inj), P Gould for C Casey (53).

    Dublin IT — F McGarry; l Barron, O Walsh, P Schutte; J Walsh, T Brady, P Phelan; P Hartley, P Kelly; P Donnelly, L Og McGovern, E Murphy; P Ryan, M Murphy, H Kehoe. Subs: D English for P Donnelly (35), J Mulrooney for P Kelly (40), M Maloney for P Phelan (55).

    Ref — J Owens (Wexford

    GMIT 2-16

    UUJ 1-10

    Galway-Mayo IT had to dig deep to beat UUJ at Balgriffin on Tueday and secure home advantage for the quarter-finals.

    The home side were tested early on by UUJ with Paddy Henry and Frank Corvan leadig the way as the Ulster side built up a 0-7 to 0-3 lead.

    However, the game changed in the 19th minute when GMIT wing-forward Daniel Loughnane scored a excellent goal for his side. Then, in first-half injury-time, James Liddy scored their second goal with an opportunistic flick to put them in control.

    Jason O’Gorman and Colin Egan edged them eight clear with only 10 minutes remaining. Simon McCrory netted a penalty for Jordanstown, but GMIT finished with a flourish. Four points in a row from Egan (two), substitute Tomas Flannery and O’Gorman sealed the victory for GMIT.

    Scorers – GMIT: K Feeney 0-6 (4fs), C Egan 0-4, J O’Gorman 0-3, D Loughnane, J Liddy 1-0 each, A Lawless, T Flannery, C Flannery (f) 0-1 each. UUJ: P Henry 0-4 (3f), F Corvan 0-3, S McCrory 1-0 (pen), B Cashman, O McCloskey, D Hamill (f) 0-1 each.

    GMIT — J Keane; T Martin, C Flannery, K Waters; C Duggan, G Mahon, S Hynes; A Lawless, W McNamara; C Egan, A Lynch, D Loughnane; K Feeney, J O’Gorman, J Liddy. Subs: G O’Halloran for Waters (41), T Flannery for Liddy (47), D Maher for Mahon (49).

    UUJ — E Gillan; S Dobbin, F Neeson, N McAuley; S McCrory, N Curry, J Downey; O McCloskey, P Murphy; B Ennis, F Corvan, D Hamill; P Henry, B Cashman, A Clarke. Sub: C Rocks for Clarke (41).

    Ref — B Gavin (Offaly).


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here