More equine flu cases at Newmarket

According to the British Horse Racing Authority a further four cases of equine flu have identified in vaccinated thoroughbreds at the yard of Newmarket based trainer Simon Crisford.

As action was set to resume on Wednesday this is now a massive and may put racing back even further. Last week racing was cancelled for six days following three cases , which rose to six after the disease was found in trainers Donald McCain’s yard. The British horse racing authority announced on Sunday that Crisford was named in order to ensure the Newmarket population is aware of the yard in which an infection was identified.

The statement read further “The yard is one of 174 yards which had been required to undergo testing due to the fact that runners from the stable competed at the fixture at Newcastle on February 5th, which was identified as a possible risk fixture.

The statement said that a further update will be issued on Tuesday. It said “This will include further details of action that is being taken on the back off this incident”. It went on to say it will outline how the process will operate for the decision which will be made on Tuesday evening regarding whether it is possible to resume racing on Wednesday 13th of February.

Some 720 tests returned negative on Saturday and around the same total was estimated in addition to that on Sunday from over 2,000 received by the Animal Health Trust in Newmarket. David Sykes director of equine health and welfare for the BHA said “The data is encouraging and provides a further indication that the precautionary safety measures have helped to contain the spread of the disease.

Sky Sports News reported on their lunchtime news that no decision will be expected until around 10.30pm on Tuesday night regarding racing.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.