The Ireland U20 side to face Italy on Friday night in the U20’s Six Nations Championship at the Stadio Centro D’Italia in Rieti has been announced. The game will kick off at 6pm Irish time.
The team beginning with the forwards will see Josh Wycherely start at loosehead prop alongside Dylan Tierney-Martin at hooker and Thomas Clarkson at tighthead prop. In the second row, Charlie Ryan will partner Niall Murray. The back row will see Martin Murray at Blindslide flanker, Leinster’s Scott Penny at openside flanker wearing the number 7 jersey and at number 8 John Hodnett.
At scrum half Craig Casey will continue his partnership with fly half Harry Byrne. On the wings, Johnathan Wren will start on the left, while Ulster’s Angus Kernohan will start on the right wing. In midfield then captain of the side David Hawkshaw is at inside centre and he will be partnered by Liam Turner at outside centre. Jake Flannery will continue at full back.
On the bench their are several uncapped players. Billy Scannell, Callum Reid, Ronan Waters and Ben Healy will be all expecting to get some game time. Ireland sit on top of the table with 2 wins from 2 beating Scotland and England. A win here would set it up lovely for them with games against Wales and France to come to do the grand slam and win the tournament as a whole.
On the team announcement, McNamara said;
“We’re pleased to have won our opening two games, but the players are ambitious, and they are constantly looking for improvements in their performance, both individually and collectively.
Our previous meetings with Italy have been really challenging encounters, with only one score separating the sides in our past number of games.
The down week allowed for the players to get some good recovery in, as well as reviewing the Scotland game and looking ahead to this weekend.
We had a really positive session with the Ireland Senior side last Friday in the Aviva Stadium, so the players are now looking forward to getting back into the green jersey on Friday night in Rieti.”
The Starting 15 is
15. Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
14. Angus Kernohan (Queen’s University/Ulster)
13. Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster)
12. David Hawkshaw (Clontarf/Leinster) capt
11. Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)
10. Harry Byrne (Lansdowne/Leinster)
9. Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster)
1. Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)
2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht)
3. Thomas Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
4. Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster)
5. Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
6. Martin Moloney (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
7. Scott Penny (UCD RFC/Leinster)
8. John Hodnett (UCC/Munster)
16. Billy Scannell (Young Munster/Munster) *
17. Callum Reid (Banbridge/Ulster) *
18. Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster)
19. Brian Deeny (Clontarf/Leinster)
20. Ronan Watters (St.Mary’s College/Leinster) *
21. Cormac Foley (St.Mary’s College / Leinster)
22. Ben Healy (Garryowen/Munster) *
23. Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)