Its look near a certainty that the 2012/2013 Premiership title will be going to Alex Ferguson’s Manchester United team and tonight they have the chance to avenge the 6-1 annihilation they suffered at the hands of city rivals Manchester City at Old Trafford last season.
Sir Alex Ferguson has said he has never watched a repeat of that game saying: “Why would I? I am not into self-flagellation”. But what is clear is that he has got his team to exact revenge in the best possible fashion.
MANCHESTER UNITED: Wayne Rooney should return for Monday’s Manchester derby after a two-match absence with a groin strain. Rafael has overcome a similar problem, but Nemanja Vidic and Jonny Evans are doubts with respective back and hamstring injuries.
MANCHESTER CITY: There are no fresh injury concerns for their trip to Old Trafford. Jack Rodwell misses out but should be available for the FA Cup semi-final with Chelsea next weekend.
- City’s 6-1 win in last season’s corresponding fixture was United’s heaviest Premier League defeat, and the first time they had conceded six at Old Trafford since 1930.
- This is the 165th Manchester derby in all competitions. Manchester United lead by 69 wins to City’s 45, with 50 draws.
- Sir Alex Ferguson and Roberto Mancini have met 11 times as managers. Ferguson has won six to Mancini’s four.
- Manchester United have won 50 of a possible 54 points in their last 18 Premier League games (W16, D2).
- Sir Alex Ferguson’s side are the first team in English top-flight history to win 25 of their first 30 league games of a season.
- They need 19 points from their remaining eight matches to set a new Premier League record for most points (96).
- United have not conceded in their last 627 minutes of Premier League football.
- They are unbeaten in the last 53 league matches in which they opened the scoring.
- According to Opta, United have only conceded one shot on target in their last three Premier League games combined (v Norwich, Reading and Sunderland).
- Robin van Persie has gone nine games in all competitions with United without scoring, despite attempting 24 shots at goal in those appearances.
- Manchester City have taken just 11 points from the last 21 available.
- City have eight points fewer than they did at this stage last season.
- Roberto Mancini’s side have conceded 26 league goals, five fewer than any other top-flight side. They have also kept an unrivalled 14 clean sheets.
- Carlos Tevez has scored seven goals in his last seven competitive games for Manchester City. He scored 34 goals in 97 matches for Manchester United. He has scored three goals in seven matches against them since leaving the club but none in the six league meetings.
- Edin Dzeko has scored five goals in six matches against Manchester United.