Torres scores first (two) goals in 24 hours of play

Chelsea comfortably overcame a spirited Leicester City side to advance to the semi-final of the FA Cup on Sunday.

This game will be mainly remembered more for Fernardo Torres however, who finally broke his goal drought after 1,541 minutes of play.  In the end Torres scored not once, but twice in the space of 18 minutes and admitted that he was relieved to break his drought.

Torres has now scored seven goals in 52 games since his £35million move from Liverpool in January 2011 and he told media of his relief at finally scoring a goal:  “I needed those goals,” Torres said. “I’d been working so hard to get those goals and in the last month, the team is much better than before. We are more committed and we have shown in the last two or three games that we can do things in a good way. The main thing is we are making more chances than before.  We have shown we can score goals and we are not conceding many.”

Interim head coach Robert Di Matteo now has a perfect record of played four, won four under his stewardship.   Throughout Torres’ drought; Di Matteo maintained how well Torres had been playing and how good his support play for the team had been.  For strikers however; goals are the ultimate currency and Torres is first to acknowledge that stating:  “I think maybe this season I am playing at a very good level but I was not scoring goals in this period and the job of the striker is to score goals,” he said.

The truth is that the game was effectively over when Torres scored his first goal of the Cup quarter-final.  Gary Cahill gave the Blues the lead on 12 minutes and proceeded to reveal a t-shirt stating  “PRAY 4 MUAMBA”   upon netting.  This was of course a classy touch unveiled as a gesture of support for Bolton Wanderers’ midfielder  Fabrice Muamba who had suffered a cardiac arrest the previous day during the game against Tottenham.  Salomon Kalou proceeded to make the score 2-0 inside 20 minutes and from there the three-time Premier League champions went into cruise control.

Torres put them 3-0 up midway through the second-half after which they briefly took the foot off the pedal which allowed Leiscester nick one through James Beckford before upping the tempo again with Torres apparently putting the final nail in the Leicester coffin to put the Blues 4-1 up, five minutes from time.  Leicester and Chelsea then swapped a goal apiece through Marshall and Meireles respectively during the last two minutes of play, but those two late additions to the scoreline were merely a side note.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.