Airtricity League round up

There was a pair of late goals shared at Tallaght Stadium as Shamrock Rovers’ Gary Twigg gave the home side a 1-0 lead on 85 minutes.  Cork centre half John Dunleavy scored his first goal for the club two minutes from time to ensure the Rebel Army took a share of the spoils.

Third placed Hoops remain seven points behind table toppers Sligo who slipped up by drawing 0-0 at Bohemians.  In what was a hard fought encounter at Dalymount, the visitors played the final 12 minutes with ten men after McGuinness received a second yellow card and was duly sent off.  There was a total of eight evenly distributed yellow cards in the encounter.

Saint Patrick’s Athletic leapfrog the champion from Tallaght as Liam Buckley’s side were too strong for a hard fighting basement outfit Monaghan United, who conceded three goals in the last seven minutes to lose 4-0.  The Saints dominated however and were good value for their win with goals coming from Christy Fagan, Jake Kelly (two) and Greg Bolger.

The brace from substitute Kelly was particularly impressive and the Inchicore outfit look to have plenty strength in depth as we enter the second half of the season.  Having drawn with the champions last week, Mons will be disappointed at their inconsistency and face an uphill battle to avoid relegation this season.

In the live televised clash, Drogheda prevailed in the Louth derby.  An entertaining clash ended 2-1 to the Drogs with goalkeeper Sava earning his corn pulling off four terrific saves towards the end of the 90 minutes as Dundalk battled to save the game.

Drogs had a goal ruled out in the 42nd minute, with man-of-the-match Hynes adjudged to have fouled goalkeeper Peter Cherrie before bundling the ball over the goal-line.  Mick Cooke’s men took the lead seconds later however as Ryan Brennan crossed into the box and his brother Seán Brennan was on hand to put the finishing touch on O’Brien’s flick on at the back post.

The home side leveled in the 63rd minute.  Paul Walsh’s run and perfect pull back found Gary Shanahan who smashed the ball home.

The visitors restored their lead two minutes later however as Eric Foley whipped over a brilliant cross for former Dundalk man Paul Crowley to rise highest and power home a thumping header.

Try as they might, the hosts could not salvage the game and Drogheda had the three points.  Drogheda move up two places to fourth while Dundalk stay second bottom.

At the Carlisle Grounds, Bray Wanderers beat UCD 3-1 thanks to a brace from Jason Byrne and a last minute clincher from John Mulroy.  Daniel Ledwith scored the student’s only goal.  UCD stay third bottom while the Seagulls leapfrog Cork into seventh.

Follow hoogenband0110 on Twitter


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.