Tipperary issue a timely warning

Tipperary returned to their brilliant best of last season’s championship, when destroying a well fancied Galway side, in their Allianz National Hurling League clash at Pearse Stadium on Sunday.

The visitors ended up with 18 points to spare and the win leaves them with an outside chance of making the league final, although they will need other results to go their way in the final round. With Kilkenny hot favourites to reach the decider, the other spot looks to rest between Tipperary, Galway and Dublin.

The Premier men played against the wind in Sunday’s opening half, yet they managed to build a solid platform and led by two points at the interval. A blitz at the start of the second half meant that they had the points wrapped up well before the final whistle and they provided a timely reminder that they are still the team to beat come the championship.

Shane Bourke was a revelation up front for the men in blue and gold, hitting a remarkable 3-4 of his sides tally. The youngster scored the first two points of the game to give his side an early advantage.

Galway responded well with Ger Farragher showing his usual accuracy from placed balls and then the Tribesmen moved into an early lead thanks to a goal from Eoin Forde. Tipperary then took over the game and Burke netted his first goal soon after. Five points without reply had Declan Ryans’s side in front and they went on from there.

Patrick Maher, Lar Corbett, John O’Brien and Pa Bourke (0-2) all scored to give their side the advantage. Farragher replied for Galway from a placed ball but Tipperary had a goal shortly after from O’Brien. It put the visitors four points ahead and they soon went clear after scores from Corbett and the two Bourkes, but Galway finished the half strongly and Farragher, Forde, Andy Smith and Adrian Cullinane scored to help close the gap to two at half-time, 1-10 to 1-8.

Shane Bourke and Lar Corbett increased Tipperary’s lead soon after the restart and then Bourke scored his second goal of the game, after a pass from O’Brien .Gearóid Ryan, Patrick Maher and Pa Bourke all got on the scoresheet to stretch the advantage out to 2-15 to 1-8.

Johnny Coen replied for Galway but they were really struggling at this point. Shane Bourke completed his treble after a fine solo effort and the points were safely in the bag after that. There was to be no way back for Galway.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here