Report:Tipperary cruise to Munster title

Tipperary roared their way to the Munster title with a devastating display of goal scoring that will have the rest of the country shaking in their boots.

Seven goals, six of which came from the Hurley’s of Eoin Kelly and Lars Corbett was the inspiration for a one sided Munster final.

Tipperary showed their intent early on with Eoin Kelly netting a free inside the opening minutes with John O’Brien doubling the advantage seconds later. Lars Corbett then got in on the act scoring with a fine goal to leave Waterford shell shocked and 5 points down inside the opening 5 minutes.

Pauric Mahony stemmed the flow of Tipperary points when he scored his and Waterford’s first after John Mullane was fouled.

Waterford weren’t winning any ball with Tipperary scoring with ease as O’Brien got his second and Noel McGrath with a fine point stretched the lead. Waterford were forced to feed from scrap with Mullane isolated up front, dropping deep to get the ball without effect.

Mahony scored Waterford second and third points with successive free‘s but everything Davy Fitzgerald’s side looked like getting back into it, up would step Kelly, Corbett or O’Brien with fine individual points.

As we approached the 20 minutes mark Tipperary led 1-08 to 0-04, Tony Browne helping out Mahony with his first point of the Championship.

If Tipperary were impressive in the opening 30 minutes they were saving the best for the final 6 minutes as first Mullane epitomised the Waterford performance when his indecision when raining down on goal led to a mis hit effort that sailed wide, then almost immediately from the puck out, Eoin Kelly showing how’s it done with a fine goal.

That effort seemed to knock the wind out of Waterford and Tipperary went straight for the jugular and added three more goals with Corbett claiming two of them to become the all time record Tipperary goal scorer.

The game was over as a contest with Waterford heading in at half down 17 points down, 5-10 to 0-08.
As many would have predicted the goals dried up in the second half however Tipperary still managed to add two more through Kelly and Corbett who ended the game with 4-04. The highlight of the second half was the taken off of Brendan Cummins, who went off to a standing ovation having equalled Christy Ring’s appearances in Championship hurling with 65 appearances.

Waterford got more space in the second half as Tipperary sat back but they could only add 11 points to their title, the introduction of Maurice Shanahan adding some life to the forward line.

In truth Tipperary were far too strong on the day and scored at will, breaking the 40 score mark when Shane Burke, on a sub, netted a point in added time.

Mahony, playing his first Munster final, was the stand out player on show for Waterford, his 13 points included 12 from 12 frees, a deadly display of accuracy that might deserved some reward.

Tipperary march on the All Ireland semi final while Waterford must re-group for a quarter final clash against an improving Galway will have live score updates on all GAA Championship matches over the summer.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here