Roscommon beat Armagh in epic minor clash

Roscommon 1-16
Armagh 0-18
(after extra time)

Roscommon minor footballers qualified for the All Ireland semi final after a single point victory over Armagh in an epic quarter final clash at Croke Park on Saturday afternoon. The sides could not be separated after normal time and it took an additional twenty minutes to finally reveal the winner.

Armagh had the advantage of the breeze in the first half of normal time, and with Paul McKeown playing particularly well, the Orchard County built up a 0-4 to0-1 lead early on. Donie Smith hit the Rossies early score, but with Thomas Corcoran and Mark Daly finding the target it was soon back to a one point game. Enda Smith pointed a placed ball to tie the game and scores from Kevin Finn and Daly gave the Connacht side a two point lead at the interval.

The Orchard County made the better start to the second period and McKeown and O’Hanlon soon had the sides level. Jordan gave Roscommon back the lead before Armagh drew level, and went ahead through McShane. Kevin Finn tied it up again before McKeown and O’Hanlon again made it a two point game. Thomas Corcoran kept Roscommon in the tie but McKeown again pointed for Armagh. Conor Daly narrowed the gap further before a goal from Donie Smith gave the Rossies a two point lead.

Michael Carson and Daniel McCreagh tied the match with only minutes to play, and Ryan McShane looked to have won the match for the Ulster side when he gave them the lead just before the whistle. However, Thomas Corcoran stepped up and pointed a fine free in the very last seconds to ensure the game went to extra time.

Armagh had the better of the early period of extra time and went ahead through McQuaid and Raferty. Fintan Sweeney kept Roscommon in the match but Raferty added another score and McNally then made it a three point game. Donie Smith had the final score of the half to leave two points in the game at the break. Fintan Sweeney again pointed after the restart to narrow the gap, and Kevin Finn tied it up with three minutes to play. Thomas Corcoran again proved the Roscommon hero, stepping up in the last minute to score the winner from a 45. will have live score updates on all GAA Championship matches over the summer.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here