Crowd violence at Tyrone GAA match

Tyrone GAA chiefs will launch an investigation after Sunday’s county football league final was marred by violence on and off the field.

A mass brawl broke out on the field in the closing minutes of the game and violence then erupted in the stands with several people involved.

The match between Dromore and Carrickmore was held up for around 10 minutes before play eventually resumed.

County champions Dromore won 0-11 to 0-6 at Dunmoyle near Ballygawley.

One eyewitness told BBC Sport that “blood was spilled” during the disturbances in the stand.

Carrickmore players Gabriel McCallan and Plunkett McCallan, who are bothers, were sent off following the mass brawl on the pitch.

Tyrone GAA PRO Damien Harvey acknowledged that the scenes “were not pleasant viewing” and confirmed that the county’s competitions control committee would investigate the disturbances after receiving the referee’s report.

“The county’s CCC (competitions control committee) which is a sub-committee independent of the county board will take any necessary action after studying the referee’s report,” said the Tyrone PRO.

“The Tyrone County Board wish to confirm that an investigation into the incidents surrounding the O’Neills Division 1 League final has already begun. The Tyrone Competitions Control Committee (CCC) will review the full match report from the referee and will also review video evidence of the game,” said a statement on Sunday evening.

“The Tyrone County Board condemn unreservedly the actions of those people involved in fighting in the crowd. There is no place for scenes such as these in our games. The people involved should come forward and accept responsibility for their actions. Their failure to do so will only further discredit their own clubs and our association.”

Referees are required to produce their match reports within three days of games.

Despite the scenes, Mr Harvey said that there were no reports of anybody sustaining major injuries.

Tyrone GAA county chairman Ciaran McLaughlin added that the involvement of spectators in the disturbances was a “worrying development”.

“When something happens outside the perimeter of the field, and spectators become involved, it is very serious,” added the Tyrone chairman.

Earlier this season, a referee was seriously assaulted at a ladies match in Tyrone, as a result of which two men, one of them a member of the Carrickmore management team, received lifetime bans.

Dromore’s victory saw them completing a championship and league double in Tyrone football.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here