Connacht easily beat Glasgow

Eric Elwood’s Connacht side have moved ahead of Glasgow Warriors in the Magners League table following a twenty nine point victory at the Sportsground on Friday.

Brian Tuohy and Gavin Duffy scored the tries for the home side in the first half, with Hefin O’Hare touching down for Glasgow, who trailed by 18-8 at half-time. With Ruairi Jackson in the sin bin for the visitors, Connacht crucially added two more tries early in the second half and wrapped the game up with a 62nd-minute penalty try.

Elwood’s charges started the game brightly. A good period of possession saw an offside decision against Glasgow and Ian Keatley converted the resulting kick. The Out-half missed a more difficult penalty, three minutes later, but Connacht continued to press forward with Mike McCarthy and Michael Swift trying hard up front.

In the ninth minute, Connacht showed patience on the attack before Keatley went on the outside and passed for Tuohy who ran over for the opening try of the game. Glasgow hit back from their very first attack. Colin Gregor took a quick tap from a penalty, noticing an overlap on the right, and Bernardo Stortoni passed for O’Hare to score. The try was missed and Connacht hit back straight away. Keatley kicked through for full-back Duffy to catch and score in the corner.

Keatley converted but this score was cancelled out by Jackson’s only penalty of the night, midway through the half. Glasgow threatened the Connacht line in the lead-up to half time. A knock on from Gregor saw the Warriors get within scoring range, and Robert Harley was also hauled down a few metres out. However, Keatley kicked Connacht ten points clear after Jackson was yellow carded for tackling Tuohy without the ball.

The second half had a bright start with two tries in a four-minute spell. Keatley spotted some space and put Fionn Carr away for a well-taken third try. Soon after Connacht claimed a bonus point. Prop Brett Wilkinson charged forward on a 20-metre break, passed for Keatley and the out-half found Tuohy who went over for his second try.

Keatley converted one of the tries, leaving Connacht 30-8 ahead. The Westerners added the late penalty try to wrap up the game and defeat Glasgow for the second time this season.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.