Dicksboro & Ballymartyle through to All-Ireland Final

Dicksboro (Kilkenny) 0-16
St John’s (Antrim) 1-9

Kilkenny champions, Dicksboro had to battle all the way before emerging with a narrow win over Antrim side, St John’s at Cusack Park, Mullingar,on Sunday.

Brian McFall led the way for the Glens men as Antrim held their own in the first half. In the 20th minute Liam Boyle managed to scramble the ball to the net and the score proved crucial as his side led 1-6 to 0-7 at half-time.

Ollie Walsh and Martin Gaffney levelled the contest within a few minutes of the restart and the latter proved the star of the second half, as he finished with a personal tally of 11 points.

Cillian Starr pointed to give the Kilkenny side the lead for the first time and they were always in control of the game from there to the final whistle.

Scorers — Dicksboro: M Gaffney 0-11 (0-6f), O Walsh 0-2, P O’Flynn, A Stapleton, C Starr 0-1 each. St John’s: B McFall 0-7 (0-3f, 1 s-l, 0-1 ’65′), L Boyle 1-0, S McCrory, N McCallin 0-1 each.

Dicksboro — S Morrissey, D Glynn, K Cuddihy, P Hogan, M Fagan, D Kenny, E Malone, D O’Gorman, C O’Loughlin, P O’Flynn, M Gaffney, O Walsh, A Stapleton, S Maher, C Starr. Subs: K Nolan for O’Loughlin (47), T Manning for Maher (52).

St John’s — C Cunningham, C Gannon, M O’Neill, C Morgan, L Knocker, S McCrory, A McGowan, G Clarke, C McFall, G Cunningham, Barry McFall, S Tierney, L Boyle, N McCallin, Brian McFall. Subs: M Lyons for Knocker (25), C McStein for Tierney(39), J Savage for Boyle (45), J Mead for McCallin (59).

Ref — F Smith (Meath).

Ballymartyle (Cork) 1-10
Padraig Pearses (Galway) 0-10

Munster Intermediate hurling champions Ballymartyle did well to hold off a spirited second-half comeback from Padraig Pearses in Templetouhy on Sunday.

Despite having wing-back Tommy MacDonagh sent off in the 12th minute after he received a straight red card,Pearses never gave up and really took the game to the Cork side.

Ballymartle started the better and three early points from Barry Dwyer gave them a 0-3 to -1 lead. Thomas Flannery’s second-minute free for Pearses being the sole reply.

Darren McCarthy scored Ballymartyle’s fourth point before Jamie Dwyer netted for the Cork side. Pearses trailed by 1-7 to 0-5 at half time.

Rory and Barry Dwyer added further points to extend the Ballymartyle lead after the restart. McCarthy pointed his side’s final score in the 43rd minute, but for the rest of the game the Cork side were forced to defend as the Galway team hit five successive points from frees to close the gap.

Scorers — Ballymartyle: B Dwyer 0-4 (0-3f), D McCarthy 0-3, J Dwyer 1-0, R Dwyer 0-2 (0-1f), S Corry 0-1. Padraig Pearses: T Flannery 0-10 (0-8f, 1 ’65′).

Ballymartyle — D McCarthy; D Coleman, M Tobin, Declan Dwyer; J Kelly, P Dwyer, N Sheehan; S Corry, G Webb; D McCarthy, R Dwyer, B Dwyer; J Dwyer, Dan Dwyer, P Dwyer. Subs: D Edmonds for Coleman (46), S O’Mahony for Coughlan (60).

Padraig Pearses — F Flannery; A Kenny, T Kenny, P Raftery; K Hardiman, T Higgins, T McDonagh; S Hardiman, K Donnellan; C Ward, C Donnellan, A Kilkenny; T Flannery, E Ward, A Bellews: Subs: R Donnellan for Hardiman (32), J Gelston for Higgins (55).

Ref — P Casey (Waterford).


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here