Dublin Hurlers beat Tipperary

Dublin 1-16 1-15 Tipperary, Croke Park, 5.15pm

Conal Keaney was the star performer as Dublin defeated All-Ireland champions Tipperary at Croke Park this evening.

Keaney scored 0-14 as Anthony Daly’s side handed Tipp their second defeat in this year’s National League. Declan O’Dwyer (15 minutes) and John O’Neill (28) exchanged three pointers as Dublin led by 1-10 to 1-09 at the break.

Eoin Kelly came on for Declan Ryan’s men who fought back level after an hour, but another pointed free from Keaney was enough to seal Dublin’s first win in Division 1. Alan McCrabbe provided the inspiration for Anthony Daly’s side when they had nine points to spare over Tipperary in the corresponding fixture last year. McCrabbe is currently injured, so Keaney was the man to lead the blues.

David O’Callaghan set up the opening score which Keaney pointed from a free. After 11 minutes the sides were level at 0-04 each. Pa Bourke, with a sideline cut and a point from play, Shane McGrath and Michael Gleeson scored Tipp’s first points. Keaney was leading the scoring charge for the Dubs, his fourth point coming from play.

On the quarter hour, Declan O’Dwyer grabbed the game’s first goal. The centre-forward caught the ball and raced away from Curran before sending a low shot past goalkeeper Darren Gleeson. John O’Neill and Brendan Maher replied with points for Tipp and two more from O’Neill and Bourke, in response to Keaney’s fifth, had Tipp back level (1-05 to 0-08). Boland added a snappy point from play and Keaney claimed his sixth


Tipperary hit back immediately to take the lead. O’Neill got on the end of a long clearance and netted with a powerful shot off his right. Keaney landed two frees and Liam Rushe using his power and pace to finish off an excellent individual score. Keaney also had a close range shot saved by Gleeson after a charging run from substitute Ryan O’Dwyer, who was introduced for Shane Ryan on the half hour mark. Bourke closed out the first half’s score with a ’65’ in injury-time, leaving the minimum between the sides at the interval.

Tipp were missing a number of their All Ireland winners, but this should not take away from what was a strong first half display from Dublin. They missed out on a second goal when Gleeson denied O’Callaghan at close range, following a good set-up by Peadar Carton.

Keaney’s sharpshooting form continued, before the introduction of Eoin Kelly saw Tipp rally. Shane McGrath, Brian O’Meara and Bourke got their side back on terms at 1-14 apiece. John McCaffrey set up Keaney to nudge Dublin ahead again and they kept hold of the lead after Bourke and Keaney swapped frees.

Keaney’s score in the 62nd minute proved to be the match-winner, as O’Neill and O’Callaghan hit late wides.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here