English League Cup: Tuesdays review & results

English League Cup: Tuesdays review & results 25/09/2012

The surprise of the night’s League Cup action occurred at the Etihad Stadium where Aston Villa overcame Premier League champions Manchester City on a 4-2 scoreline.

A brace of goals from Gabriel Agbonlahor was ultimately the difference between the teams.

Mario Balotelli and then Aleksandar Kolarov had twice put the hosts ahead while Villa old boy Gareth Barry’s helped his former team’s cause with an own-goal equaliser and Agbonlahor took the tie to extra-time.

Charles N’Zogbia scored only his third goal since his summer 2011 move from Wigan to put Villa ahead early in the added period, and Agbonlahor ensured there was no way back with his second goal seven minutes from the end.

Leeds United shocked Everton with a 2-1 win at Elland Road.

A flying start to their Premier League season had seen David Moyes’ third-placed side installed as one of the frontrunners to lift this trophy, but Aidy White’s fourth-minute goal and Rodolph Austin’s effort with 20 minutes left saw Leeds through, despite a nervy ending prompted by Sylvain Distin’s header nine minutes from time.

Despite being reduced to ten men when Lee Cattermole was sent off just after the half hour mark, Sunderland overcame MK Dons with a 2-0 win at Stadium: MK.

Martin O’Neill saw his captain Lee Cattermole sent off for the fifth time in his Sunderland career for a nasty first-half challenge on MK Dons defender Adam Chicksen but the Premier League outfit still had enough in reserve to see off their League One hosts.

The game lacked quality for large periods but two second half goals, a fantastic Craig Gardner free-kick nine minutes into the second half and a well-taken solo effort from star man James McClean, secured a safe passage into round four for Sunderland.

The highlight of the night was definitely the Republic of Ireland winger’s goal.  He received the ball some 40 yards from goal on the inside left channel.  Finding more space than he would usually be granted in a typical Premier League game, the Derry native ghosted inside three would be tacklers before facing the advancing home goalkeeper McLoughlin and placing his effort low into the corner to seal the Black Cats’ passage to the fourth round.

Champions League holders Chelsea had no such problems against Championship outfit Wolves at Stamford Bridge.

The Londoners overturned their less illustrious opponents with a 6-0 thumping with six different home players finding the back of the net.

Jon Terry started his first game for Chelsea since stepping down from the England international set-up.  The man most likely to benefit from his retirement – Gary Cahill – opened the scoring after four minutes when he did his best impression of the skipper by heading home a Mata free-kick at the back post.

Terry acknowledged the support, which continued as his every touch was cheered in a game that also saw warm receptions for debutants Cesar Azpilicueta and Lucas Piazon as Chelsea rang the changes for a competition not exactly top of their agenda.

Wolves’ decision to rest 10 players made it crystal clear where their priorities lay and it looked like they could not wait to get out of the capital.

Chelsea’s fringe men and youngsters, who looked really lively, then combined for the second goal in the seventh minute.

Romeu’s shot was saved by Dorus De Vries but Lucas Piazon kept the ball in and turned it back for an unmarked Bertrand to blast home.

The game was over as a contest ten minutes later with Mata starting and finishing a flowing move, exchanging passes with both Ramires and Torres before finishing expertly.

Terry’s lack of pace was twice exposed, firstly when David Davis’ strike was tipped over the bar and secondly when Slawomir Peszko easily surged clear of him and Cahill, rounded Ross Turnbull but shot into the side-netting.

That was as close as the visitors would come however.  Oscar Romeuo continued the rout with the fourth goal from the penalty spot eight minutes into the second half.

Torres headed home just before the hour with Victor Moses completing the scoring on his full Chelsea debut with his first goal for the club 18 minutes from time.

Crawley Town nearly shocked Premier League Swansea City as only a winner from Gavin Monk deep into injury-time saw the Welsh outfit into the next round.

Routledge unlocked the home defence in the 27th minute with a mazy run that set up the opener for Michu.  Michusteered the ball over the head of Jones from the edge of the area with a superb finish to grab his fifth goal since his summer arrival from Rayo Vallecano.

Following sustained pressure Crawley deservedly equalized at the death of the first half when Simpson gathered a failed clearance from 20 yards out and hammered a heavily-deflected shot into the net.

Crawley continued to dominate in the second half and they took the lead just past the hour mark when Forte went on a lung busting run before finding Akpan who turned and slotted home from close range.

The home side were left to rue a number missed chances as in the 74th minute Swansea equalised when Graham nodded in Dwight Tiendalli’s cross.

And the decisive blow was struck as the match entered injury-time, Monk jumping to head home Routledge’s corner.

In the second and final all Premier League clash of the night, Wigan Athletic hammered West Ham United 4-1 at Upton Park, though the home side, this game clearly wasn’t a major priority.

Wigan striker Mauro Boselli answered his critics by netting a well-taken brace of goals.

Boselli has been regarded as something of a flop since he signed for the Latics for £6million, scoring twice in a two-year spell that has seen him make just 14 Premier League appearances.  The Italian was clearly the star performer in a game that lacked quality however, particularly from the London outfit.

West Ham, who had only lost one of their previous six games this term, went ahead through Modibo Maiga, but they quickly wilted to allow Wigan to open up a two-goal lead.

Boselli capitalised on some slack marking to tap home from close range after 14 minutes and then Ivan Ramis blasted home from 25 yards before Boselli’s wonder chip made it 3-1.

The Hammers showed little sign of fight in the second half, and Wigan killed off the game with seven minutes to go when Jordi Gomez scored a penalty after Stephen Henderson brought down James McArthur in the box.

English League Cup (Capital One Cup) Third Round Results:

Leeds United  2-1  Everton

Bradford  3-2  Burton Albion (A.E.T.)
Chelsea  6-0  Wolves
Crawley  2-3  Swansea
Man. City 2-4  Aston Villa (A.E.T.)
MK Dons  0-2 Sunderland
Preston  1-3  Middlesborough
Southampton  2-0  Sheffield Wednesday
Swindon  3-1  Burnley
West Ham  1-4  Wigan Athletic
Follow hoogenband0110 on Twitter

William Hill Sports


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.