Fitzgibbon Cup Review for Wednesday 2nd February 2011

University Of Limerick 4-18

Dublin City University 0-8

A strong UL team, containing many of the best known names in inter-county hurling, easily brushed aside DCU in yesterday’s Group D round-robin match.

Goals from Tipp duo Kieran Morris and Joe Gallagher still helped UL into a 2-4 to 0-8 half-time lead.The game was difficult for both sides as very high winds prevailed throughout the contest.

On the restart the teams faced driving, icy rain but UL hurled the better and seemed to handle the conditions.Offaly’s Joe Dooley and Cork’s Pa Cronin were to the fore as picked off great scores for their side. Waterford’s Michael ‘Brick’ Walsh stood out in the UL defence and dealt with any DCU attacks.

Two more goals, from sub Tom Connors and star man Dooley, completely ended this contest. UL’s winning margin of 22 points was a fair measure of the difference between these two sides.

Scorers — University of Limerick: S Dooley 1-6 (3f), T Connors 1-2, K Morris 1-1 (1f), P Cronin 0-4, J Gallagher 1-0, B Beckett 0-2, D Burke, P Kelly, A Quinn 0-1 each. Dublin City University: E Kent 0-4 (3f), P McAllister, E O’Mahony, D Horan, JJ Lennon 0-1 each.

University of Limerick — T Lowry; M Malone, M Walsh, S Hickey; P Stapleton, B Bugler, K Joyce; D Burke, J Gallagher; P Cronin, B Beckett, S Dooley; K Morris, P Kelly, A Quinn. Subs: T Connors for J Gallagher (43), M Heffernan for K Morris (46), PJ Delaney for K Joyce (48), N Murphy for D Burke (50), D Lynch for M Malone (55).

Dublin City University — B McCormack; S Kelly, A Moran, W Eviston; A Griffith, B Flaherty, W O’Brien; P McAllister, JJ Lennon; E McCabe, A Crane, E O’Mahony; D Horan, E Kent, C Foley.

Ref — R Matthews (Antrim).

GMIT 2-08

St Pats 1-09

James Liddy hit a last minute goal to give Galway-Mayo IT victory in this Group C tie at Carnmore, Galway yesterday.

St Pat’s looked like they had done enough to guarantee a home quarter-final when Paudie Kehoe put them in front from a free as the game entered stoppage time but GMIT attacked again and Liddy soloed through and shot low into the net.

Clare man, Liddy, was scoring his second goal having also netted four minutes after the restart. That first goal levelled the game after St Pat’s had led by 1-5 to 0-5 at the break thanks to a goal from JJ Farrell. The sides were level six times during the game and even at the finish there was only the puck of a ball between them again.

Galway senior Ger Mahon was the star on show, especially in the second half. Both these sides should advance to the quarter-finals, unless UUJ score a massive victory over GMIT next week, which would knock St Pat’s out.

SCORERS — GMIT: J Liddy 2-0, K Feeney 0-4 (4f), T Flannery 0-2 (1f, 1 ’65′), D Loughnane, C Egan 0-1 each. St Pat’s/Mater Dei: P Kehoe 0-6 (5f, 1 ’65′), JJ Farrell 1-0, A Dermody 0-2; N Breen 0-1.

GMIT — J Keane; T Martin, C Flannery, G O’Halloran; D Maher, G Mahon, S Hynes; K Waters, W McNamara; D Loughnane, C Egan, A Lynch; K Feeney, R Badger, J Liddy. Sub: T Flannery for Feeney (34).

St Pat’s/Mater Dei — E Reilly; D Wafer, A Murphy, N Ring; I Duggan, M Quilty, C Whelan; L Ryan, B Travers; C Maher, JJ Farrell, A Dermody; G Spollen, P Kehoe, N Breen. Subs: W O’Shaughnessy for Travers (38), B Timmons for Spollen (51).

Ref — J O’Mahoney (Limerick).

Limerick IT 1-13

Waterford IT 0-13

The strong breeze played a major role in this contest as LIT had led 1-9 to 0-3 at the break having played with the elements in the opening half.

After the restart it was a different game as Waterford fought back strongly thanks to seven-points from Tipperary star Timmy Hammersley.

Clare man Bernard Gaffney led the way for LIT with 1-4, all of them coming from frees. His goal, three minutes before the break was to prove the crucial score of the game.

Waterford IT opened the scoring with Fintan O’Leary and Ray McLoughney pointing before Gaffney and John O’Keeffe tied the game after seven minutes. Limerick IT then lost Tipperary player Seamus Callanan with a shoulder injury.

His side started to dominate however, and backed by the wind, hit 1-3 from frees(Gaffney) and two points from play by Sean Tobin. Limerick IT’s Paudie O’Brien scored the opener of the second half but then Waterford IT began to fight back, until only a goal separated the sides with five minutes remaining.

However, Limerick IT Had enough in reserve to hold out and when Waterford had Barratt sent off late on, Limerick took advantage of the extra man as they counted down to the final whistle.

Scorers — Limerick IT: B Gaffney 1-4 (1-4f), W Hyland 0-4, S Tobin 0-2, J O’Keeffe, S Collins, P O’Brien 0-1 each. Waterford IT: T Hammersley 0-7 (0-5f, 0-1 ’65′), F O’Leary 0-3, R Mcloughney 0-2, E Barrett 0-1.

Limerick IT — M Ryan; E Glynn, C Cowan, C Cooney; P Donnellan, J McInerney, J O’Keeffe; P Browne, P O’Brien; S Collins, W Hyland, S Callanan; S Lambert, B Gaffney, S Tobin. Sub: D Reale for Callanan (7).

Waterford IT — L Tierney; B Kenny, S Fives, N Connors; W Hutchinson, D Langton, E Barrett; M Molloy, L Harney; F O’Leary, J Mulhall, PJ Roe; R McLoughney, B O’Meara, T Hammersley. Sub: J Dowling for Molloy (40).

Ref — A Kelly (Galway)

DIT 1-15

NUIG 1-15

An injury-time goal from Joseph Cooney gave 14-man NUIG a share of the spoils in this Group B tie at Mobhi Road.

Galway, who had Tipperary senior Seamus Hennessy sent off after just twenty minutes, were behind for the entire game until Cooney’s late goal saved their day.

DIT went four-points up early on as points from Liam Og McGovern, Eoin Murphy and centre-forward Michael Murphy(2) all found the target.

NUIG hit back soon after and went in front, but McGovern scored a goal to give his side a five-point interval lead.

John Conlon scored three points for NUIG soon after the restart as they continued to battle hard. Tomas Brady, Paul Ryan (2) and Peter Kelly hit further DIT points that looked to seal victory but Cooney’s late goal salvaged the draw for NUIG.

Scorers — DIT: P Ryan 0-5 (1 65, 2f), L Óg McGovern 1-1, M Murphy 0-3, E Murphy 0-2, H Kehoe, P Kelly, M Maloney, T Brady 0-1 each. NUIG: C Morey 0-5 (1 65, 2f), B Daly, J Conlon 0-3 each, J Cooney 1-0, G Kelly 0-2, N Burke, D O’Donovan 0-1 each.

DIT — F McGarry; C O’Shaughnessy, J Walsh, O Walsh; P Schutte, T Brady, D English; P Hartley, M Maloney; E Murphy, M Murphy, H Kehoe; P Ryan, L Óg McGovern, P Morris. Subs: P Phelan for Schutte (h-t), P Kelly for Morris (43), P Donnelly for English (48), J Mulrooney for O’Shaughnessy (58).

NUIG — D Touhy; D Nash, P Gordon, S McCormack; P Kelly, P Nihill, S Hennessy; B Daly, D O’Donovan; J Cooney, R Shanahan, J O’Connell; G Kelly, N Burke, C Morey. Subs: M Keating for Shanahan (h-t), J Conlon for Nihill (h-t).

Ref — G Duffy (Antrim).


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here