Leinster Senior Cup Review for Wednesday 2nd February 2011

Clongowes Wood 23
Pres Bray 0

Conor Mahony scored 13 points as defending champions Clongowes got the defence of their Leinster Senior Cup title off to a winning start against Pres Bray yesterday.

Clongowes led after just four minutes when captain Conor Gilsenan touched down in the left-corner. Mahony scored their second try 12 minutes later and then followed that with a 45-metre penalty.

Nick McCarthy gave Clongowes an 18-0 halftime lead, and Mahony’s second try just after the break killed off the game.

Clongowes Wood — H Burns; G Murray, J Glynn, C Joyce (S Fromm 56), C Mahony (C O’Hanrahan 69); D Quirke, C McQuaid (M McFarland 64); G Frayne, B Byrne (D Donnellan 60), T Collis; B Phelan, T Byrne (P Timmins 64); N McCarthy, C Gilsenan (B Grehan 64), J Coghlan (D O’Byrne 66).

Presentation Bray — H Barrett; F Kenny, R Keating, K Devin, A Conway (K Quihen 63); D Downey, C Cassidy; K Murphy, C O’Meara, C Higgs (J Hayes blood sub) (D Sheehy 60); G Peakin, J Ashworth (Hayes 47); N Hunter, N Finch, C O’Donoghue.

REF — K Willis.

Roscrea 16
Castleknock 3

Bill Duggan’s accuracy with the boot helped Cistercian Roscrea through to a quarter-final date with either Terenure or Gonzaga.

Out-half Duggan was the star of the game, operating behind a compact, cohesive pack, which was led by No 8 Colin Moloney and hooker Denis O’Dwyer.

Duggan kicked three penalties and added the conversion after Conor Finn’s late try.

Roscrea — P O’Dwyer; C Brennan, S Layden, C Finn (capt) (M Fitzgerald 69), M Mellotte; B Duggan, G Gallagher; G Fallon, D O’Dwyer, C Farrell (O Heffernan 61); A McGrath, R Maloney; A Henderson (R Mooney 63), E Quirke, C Moloney.

Castleknock — M Mellett; S Carroll (A Boswell 48), T Shields (J McCormack h-t), T Farrell, E Quinn; D Henry, R Gleeson; M Briody, D Barnes (D Perry 48), O McKevitt (M Bennett 48); C O’Riordan (capt), P Nalty; S Condon (A Mu’azzam 48), J O’Neill, J O’Brien.

REF — S Gallagher.

King’s Hospital 22
Wesley 13

King’s Hospital beat Wesley in this Leinster Senior Cup first-round game at Terenure RFC yesterday, thanks to three breakaway tries.

Kings Hospital scored first after nine minutes, centre Tom Quigley breaking from inside his ’22′ for the try. Greg Hawe hit a Wesley penalty from half-way after 15 minutes, before Ben Heather scored King’s second try after another breakway. Wesley hit back with a penalty from Hawe and a Stephen Young try, which Hawe converted.

Wesley were arguably the better side in the second half, but further tries by Graham Reynolds and Brian du Toit for King’s Hospital ended the contest.

King’s Hospital — I Fitzpatrick; E Delaney, T Quigley, D Potterton, W Nolan (D Butler 55); D Murphy, H Hevey (A Moore 35); B du Toit, G Reynolds, J Hinde; C Foley, B Heather (B Heather 50) ; E Lawler, D Kinkade, C Brennan.

Wesley –J Quinlan; A Walsh, R Bracken, G Hawe, R Clarke; S Young, J Hastings; D Deasy, P Tierney, G White (A O’Sullivan 40); N Carmody, C Copeland; S Davis, H Bowers (H Fitzpatrick 40), J van der Flier.

Ref — J Carvill (ARLB).


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.