Tyrone beat battling Roscommon

Tyrone recorded a 3-19 to 1-14 victory over Roscommon in the last of the All-Ireland qualifiers. Roscommon produced some brilliant football in the first half, but Tyrone ultimately prevailed and will face Dublin in the All-Ireland quarter finals for the second year in a row.

Karl Mannion’s 27th minute goal had given Roscommon a four point lead, but two goals from Sean Cavanagh and a late goal from Mark Donnelly helped Tyrone to claim a comfortable victory. The eleven point lead did an injustice to Roscommon, who battled throughout and played some quality football in the first half.

Tyrone entered the match as heavy favourites, but the Ulstermen were outplayed for much of the first half. Tyrone dominated possession in the early stages, but the Ulster side could only score one point in the first seven minutes courtesy of Sean Cavanagh. Cathal Cregg and Donal Shine scored for Roscommon, before Kevin Hughes equalised.

The sides continued to trade points, with Donal Shine and Senan Kilbride scoring the bulk of Roscommon’s points. Neither side could grab a stranglehold in the match and the scores were tied at six apiece halfway through the first half.

Some brilliant interplay from Roscommon set up Senan Kilbride who gave Roscommon the lead in the 23rd minute. Karl Mannion then benefitted from a defensive mistake from Tyrone keeper Pascal McConnell and scored a goal that gave Roscommon a deserved four point lead.

Roscommon failed to capitalise on their lead, however, hitting several wides and immediately conceding a goal to Sean Cavanagh. The Tyrone forward made a great run through the Roscommon defence and buried his shot in the corner of the Roscommon net.

Points from Peter Harte and Colm Cavanagh gave Tyrone the lead, while Senan Kilbride levelled the scores in the 35th minute. An injury time point from Sean Cavanagh allowed Tyrone to enter the break with a slender 1-9 to 1-8 lead, despite Roscommon impressive play.

Roscommon immediately scored a point through Karl Mannion, but Tyrone took control of the contest with five unanswered points. McGuigan, Mark Donnelly, Phillip Jordan, Peter Harte and O’Neill scored for the Ulster county.

McDermott scored a badly needed point for Roscommon, but Tyrone immediately re-established their five point lead. The Connaught side then launched a mini-comeback with points from Donal Shine, Karl Mannion and Senan Kilbride leaving Roscommon two points behind with 20 minutes to play.

Roscommon were unable to close the gap any further, however. Colm Cavanagh palmed the ball over the bar in the 56th minute, while two frees from Peter Harte and a point from Conor Gormley made it a six point game with five minutes to play.

Roscommon managed to pull one point back, but two Tyrone killed the game with two late goals.

Sean Cavanagh hit the Roscommon bar in the 67th minute. The Tyrone attacker made no mistake when given another chance less than 60 seconds longer and his goal ended the match as a contest. Mark Donnolly then scored a goal in the 70th minute to give Tyrone a flattering 11 points victory.

Tyrone will now face Dublin in the All-Ireland quarter final next week.

Sportsnewsireland.com will have live score updates on all GAA Championship matches over the summer.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here