Ireland won the Guinness Six Nations Championship with a hard-fought 17-6 victory over Scotland at the Aviva Stadium on Lansdowne Road this evening.

Ireland extended their record to 19th successive home success this afternoon, a victory that is a 40th win in the last 42 games at the Aviva Stadium, dating back to 2016.

It was the home side’s 10th successive win against their Celtic neighbours, and their 71 in all since the two sides first met in Belfast in 1877.

Opening half lacked energy from Ireland

An opening half that was characterised by handling errors, Ireland look a pale version of the energetic side that began this Six Nations tournament a few weeks ago.

Finn Russell opened the scoring in the 143rd test match between Ireland and Scotland with a penalty in the 8th minute of the game. Russell was reliable as usual from the kicking tee and dissected the posts for the game’s opening score.

Sheehan fifth try of the tournament

Dan Sheehan scored his 5th try of this season’s Guinness Six Nations when being the grateful recipient from a line-out throw in. The Ireland hooker, crashed over for his 10th career test try to put Ireland into the lead for the first time in the game. A successful Jack Crowley conversion put the home side into a 7-3 lead with just 14 minutes on the clock.

Joe McCarthy conceded a penalty minutes later, his second of the game, and gave Russell an opportunity to bridge the gap, which he duly did with his second successful kick for the posts in the test match.

Jack Crowley had a penalty attempt from inside the Scottish half to extend the Irish lead with 5 minutes to play in the opening half, but the kicker’s effort went left and wide of the uprights.

Half-time: Ireland 7  Scotland 6.

With Ireland making an energetic start to the second half, Scotland were penalised on 42 minutes for being off their feet directly in front of the posts. Crowley had an easy task of slotting over to push Andy Farrell’s side into a 10-6 lead.

Officials deny Furlong a try

Tadhg Furlong looked to have added to the Ireland score-line approaching the 50 minute mark. The prop drove for the line, and though he initially looked to have touched down successfully for the score, the referee Matthew Carley stated the on-field decision was ‘no try’ as he went to his TMO for clarification. Despite the fact that Scotland’s Finn Russell seemed to be in an offside position, therefore preventing Furlong from scoring, the English referee maintained his original decision, much to the frustration of the home crowd.

Porter try secures Irish victory

Ireland went of a short penalty tap and succeed in crossing the try-scoring line, with Scotland having a man in the sin-bin. Despite incessant Irish pressure prior to that, they failed to achieve another score which might settle the result of this match. Andrew Porter scored his sixth international try to settle Irish nerves. The front-row burst through the Scottish defensive effort and with a successful conversion attempt from Jack Crowley, Ireland took a 17-6 advantage into the final 13 minutes of the test match.

Scottish centre Huw Jones gave his side some late hope when racing in for a five-pointer with three minutes remaining on the clock. Russell added the extras to leave just four points between the sides, with an extra man on the pitch following the earlier sin-binning of Harry Byrne.

Full-time: Ireland 17  Scotland 13

LiveScores Now Available at IrishScores.com



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments