HomeSoccerReview: Dundalk defeat Derry at the Brandywell

Review: Dundalk defeat Derry at the Brandywell

Filippo Giovagnoli continued his impressive start as Dundalk boss with another win

Goals from Sean Murray and Jordan Flores contributed to a Dundalk victory as they kept their (slim) title hopes alive. This evening’s game was the Lilywhites’ final preparation for their European tie against Molde on Thursday. They’ll be hoping they can produce a similarly professional performance against the Norwegian league champions.

Dundalk were the first to strike after an early goal from Sean Murray to make it 1-0. Murray unleashed a rocket into the top right corner with 7 minutes on the clock after good build up down the left. It was only Murray’s fourth league start this season, but he certainly made an impression this evening which will give his manager a selection headache come Thursday.

It wasn’t long afterwards in the 14th minute that Dundalk got their second. Conor Clifford won’t want to watch the goal back as it was his mistake that led to the opportunity. A poor back pass from the midfielder handed Jordan Flores an opportunity he couldn’t miss as he tapped in from close range. Flores has scored some spectacular goals this season but this one certainly won’t make any goal of the season compilation. Still though, a goal’s a goal and it helped Dundalk come out on top in the end.

Derry struck back on 18 minutes with a Darren Cole header after an inswinging free kick from Adam Hammill. Cole has made a habit of scoring against Dundalk since joining Derry, he’s now scored 3 goals against the Lilywhites after he netted this evening.

The next chance of the game fell to Dundalk. Sean Murray produced some good play down the right before crossing into Sean Murray, but the former Watford man failed to get his second of the night as he shot wide.

Derry could have got the equaliser after 36 minutes when Meite was afforded a chance after some good high pressing from Derry, but he shot safely into Aaron McCarey’s hands.

Not long after Derry had another opportunity. This time is was Walter Figueira who struck a venomous shot but McCarey got down well once again as he palmed the ball away. Figueira was arguably Derry’s best player of the first half as he consistently caused problems for Dundalk with his pace and close control, but unfortunately for him his threatening play didn’t end with the ball in the back of the net. Figueira’s chance was the last opportunity of the first half.

After a turbulent first half – particularly in the first 20 minutes – the second half failed to live up to expectations.

It was a drab affair as both teams struggled to fashion any opportunities.

Derry were the most threatening side in the second half as they consistently tried to break down the Dundalk defence, but to little avail. They had two half chances with 80 minutes played but Aaron McCarey produced two good saves to keep out Clifford and Malone.

Dundalk had one opportunity from a free kick in the 91st minute to seal their victory but McEleney failed to get enough power on the shot to trouble the keeper.

The match finished 2-1 to Dundalk after a unremarkable second half.

Here were the teams on the night:

Dundalk: McCarey; Gannon, Cleary, Boyle, Leahy; Murray (Mountney), Flores (Hoban), Colovic (McEleney), Sloggett, Duffy (Dummigan); McMillan (Shields).

Derry: Cherrie; Coll, Cole (Horgan), Harkin, Toal; Hammill, Clifford, Malone (Thomson), McJannet, Figueira; Meite (Bruna).




LiveScores Now Available at



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments