HomeGAAVideo highlights - Limerick beat Cork to reach Munster Hurling Final

Video highlights – Limerick beat Cork to reach Munster Hurling Final

Limerick’s relentless pursuit of a fifth consecutive Munster Senior Hurling Championship title remains alive after a heart-stopping victory over Cork at the TUS Gaelic Grounds.

The battle not only kept their quest for provincial glory intact but also kept their sights firmly set on a historic four All-Ireland titles in a row. On the other hand, Cork’s championship journey came to an end, despite valiant efforts, having suffered two heartbreaking defeats by a mere solitary point in the span of a week.

In the aftermath of their heavy loss to Waterford, Tipperary now face Offaly, the Joe McDonagh Cup runners-up, in the preliminary quarter-final. Meanwhile, Limerick marches forward, determined to capture a fifth consecutive provincial crown, as they set up a much-anticipated rematch with Clare, replicating last season’s final clash.

This encounter had all the hallmarks of the Munster Championship thus far – exquisite scoring, gripping goalmouth drama, and an abundance of heart-stopping moments that had supporters from both sides on the edge of their seats.

With a staggering crowd of over 40,000 jam-packed into the Ennis Road venue, the players matched the scorching May sun with an elevated pace of play.

Cork seized an early 0-3 to 0-1 lead, courtesy of successful frees from Patrick Horgan and Declan Dalton, while Tim O’Mahony also found the target.

Although Seamus Flanagan’s exploits propelled Limerick to a narrow 0-7 to 0-5 advantage by the 14th minute, Cork fought back fiercely and notched the subsequent six points. Patrick Horgan, Declan Dalton, Luke Meade, and a delightful point from Darragh Fitzgibbon bolstered Pat Ryan’s side, propelling them four points clear.

However, the momentum shifted on the 22nd minute when a Kyle Hayes delivery found Aaron Gillane, who swiftly passed to Flanagan. From close range, Flanagan buried the ball into the back of the net, registering the first goal of the match.

Limerick’s second goal arrived just before the half-hour mark, as Aaron Gillane’s attempt ricocheted off the post. Despite possessing the ball, Cork failed to clear, and a combination of Flanagan and Will O’Donoghue caused a turnover. O’Donoghue’s clever handpass found the charging Cathal O’Neill, who clinically finished the ball beyond the reach of Patrick Collins.

Two more Gillane points, both from frees, followed, but as the first half concluded, the sides were level at 2-12 to 0-18. Seamus Harnedy and Horgan, with two successful frees, notched the final three points, ensuring a thrillingly balanced contest.

The second half turned on a pivotal moment when Limerick was awarded a penalty for a foul on Gillane under a dropping ball. Diarmaid Byrnes, Gillane’s clubmate, stepped up and rifled the ball into the net, seemingly propelling the home side into an unassailable lead. However, a string of wides coupled with points from Shane Kingston, Harnedy, and Horgan brought the Rebels to within a single point.

The tides shifted once again as Limerick mounted a remarkable comeback, scoring six unanswered points. Geraoid Hegarty, Kyle Hayes, and Darragh O’Donovan showcased their accuracy from distance, with Byrnes landing a trademark long-range effort.

Yet, in the 62nd minute, Horgan’s goal injected new life into Pat Ryan’s men,
setting the stage for a nail-biting finale. Cork relentlessly chased victory until the very last second. However, it was Limerick who had the final roar, as the full-time whistle sounded, securing their place in the upcoming Munster decider next month.


LiveScores Now Available at IrishScores.com



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments