Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Robert Lewandowski were chosen as the finalists.
FIFA have announced that Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Robert Lewandowski will make up the final three players contesting for the title of Best Men’s Player 2020.
This marks the first inclusion as a finalist for Robert Lewandowski, while Cristiano Ronaldo (2) and Messi (1) have both won the award since it started in 2016.
Lewandowski is seen as the favourite for the award having enjoyed an unbelievable 2020. The Polish striker has averaged more than a goal a game this year while also helping his team win a multitude of honours including; UEFA Champions League, Bundesliga & DFB-Pokal.
Some football fans have also suggested that Lewandowski was “robbed” of a Ballon D’or, with the prestigious individual award being cancelled in 2020 due to Covid-19.
Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi are both – for once – seen as outsiders for the award.
FIFA have also announced the finalists for their other categories:
The Best FIFA Women’s Player:
- Lucy Bronze (England / Olympique Lyonnais / Manchester City WFC)
- Pernille Harder (Denmark / VfL Wolfsburg / Chelsea FC Women)
- Wendie Renard (France / Olympique Lyonnais)
The Best FIFA Men’s Player:
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal / Juventus FC)
- Robert Lewandowski (Poland / FC Bayern München)
- Lionel Messi (Argentina / FC Barcelona)
The Best FIFA Women’s Goalkeeper
- Sarah Bouhaddi (France / Olympique Lyonnais)
- Christiane Endler (Chile / Paris Saint-Germain)
- Alyssa Naeher (USA / Chicago Red Stars)
The Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper:
- Alisson Becker (Brazil / Liverpool FC)
- Manuel Neuer (Germany / FC Bayern München)
- Jan Oblak (Slovenia / Atlético de Madrid)
The Best FIFA Women’s Coach:
- Emma Hayes (England / Chelsea FC Women)
- Jean-Luc Vasseur (France / Olympique Lyonnais)
- Sarina Wiegman (Netherlands / Dutch national team)
The Best FIFA Men’s Coach:
- Marcelo Bielsa (Argentina / Leeds United FC)
- Hans-Dieter Flick (Germany / FC Bayern München)
- Jürgen Klopp (Germany / Liverpool FC)
FIFA Puskás Award:
- Giorgian De Arrascaeta (URU) – Ceará SC v. CR Flamengo [Brasileirão – Brazil] (25 August 2019)
- Son Heung-min (KOR) – Tottenham Hotspur FC v. Burnley FC [Premier League – England] (7 December 2019)
- Luis Suárez (URU) – FC Barcelona v. RCD Mallorca [LaLiga] – Spain] (7 December 2019)