HomeSoccerDundalk and Shamrock Rovers victorious in FAI Cup quarter finals

Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers victorious in FAI Cup quarter finals

Bohemians and Finn Harps suffered defeat.

Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers advance to the FAI Cup semi-finals after their victories over Bohemians and Finn Harps tonight. 3 of the 4 FAI Cup have now been decided after Athlone Town defeated Shelbourne at the end of October. The final spot will be decided next Wednesday as Sligo take on Derry.

Shamrock Rovers vs. Finn Harps

Shamrock Rovers travelled to Ballybofey in the evening kick-off as they took on Finn Harps. The pitch wasn’t in the best shape, not helped by the conditions. This could have impacted Rovers’ possession-based playstyle, but they came away with a win in the end.

It wasn’t easy for Rovers, however, as they had to mount a comeback from 2-0 down. Barry McNamee opened the scoring in the 15th minute with a neat finish inside the box. Stephen Folan increased Harps’ advantage just a few minutes later with an accurate header from a corner.

Finn Harps went into half time with a comfortable 2-0 lead, but that wouldn’t last for long. Shamrock Rovers were awarded a penalty in the 49th minute which was initially saved. Unfortunately for Harps, though, the referee ordered a retake of the penalty. Aaron McEneff made no mistake the second time around as he tucked past the keeper.

Incredibly, Rovers were awarded another penalty in the 53rd minute as Graham Burke went down in the box. Aaron McEneff equalized from the spot with his 2nd penalty goal of the night.

Rovers completed their comeback in the 70th minute as Graham Burke slotted home from a rebound. Today’s goal was Burke’s 10th of the season since joining Rovers on loan from Preston North End.

The match finished 3-2 after an incredible comeback from Rovers.

Dundalk vs. Bohemians

Bohemians took on Dundalk from Dalymount Park in the 2nd cup game of the day. Dundalk played Bohemians twice this season prior to this fixture but failed to pick up a win. That changed tonight as the Louth club ran out 4-1 winners.

It didn’t take Dundalk too long to open the scoring as Michael Duffy netted in just the 2nd minute after being played through. Bohemians got their equalizer in the form of a penalty kick not long after as Andre Wright dispatched from the spot.

After an end to end few minutes, Dundalk got a penalty of their own in the 35th minute. Michael Duffy was brought down in the box after some excellent footwork. Bohemians keeper got a hand to the resulting David McMilan penalty, but it wasn’t enough to keep it out of the net.

Dundalk got their 3rd goal in the 38th minute under controversial circumstances. Cameron Dummigan provided the assist for McMilan’s 2nd, but the ball looked to have gone out of play before Dummigan got his cross into the box. Unfortunately for Bohs, VAR wasn’t there to help their cause and it was always an uphill battle from then on.

Michael Barker received his second yellow card of the night in the 76th minute which effectively ended Bohs’ chance of getting a result. Dundalk begun to control possession thereafter.

Substitute Nathan Oduwa completed the rout in the 87th minute as he tapped home from close range.

The match ended 4-1 to Dundalk. The scoreline was perhaps harsh on Bohemians as they were competitive throughout the game.

Dundalk will now face Athlone town in the semi-final. Shamrock Rovers will play the winner of Derry City vs. Sligo Rovers.

LiveScores Now Available at



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments